Attorney General Jeff Sessions resigns at Trump's request

<p>Attorney General Jeff Sessions speaks at the U.S. Attorney's office on Friday, July 21, 2017 in Philadelphia, Pa. (David Maialetti/Philadelphia Inquirer/TNS)</p>

Attorney General Jeff Sessions speaks at the U.S. Attorney's office on Friday, July 21, 2017 in Philadelphia, Pa. (David Maialetti/Philadelphia Inquirer/TNS)

Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who was previously Alabama's junior senator, has resigned from his post as the nation's top law enforcement officer.

"At your request, I am submitting my resignation," Session said in his resignation letter, which has been reported by CNN and other outlets. "Since the day I was honored to be sworn in as Attorney General of the United States, I came to work at the Department of Justice every day determined to do my duty and serve my country."

Sessions, who was the first senator to endorse Trump during the 2016 Republican primaries, started as one of Trump's staunchest supporters. While overseeing the Department of Justice, Sessions has enforced many of Trump's controversial immigration policies.

But Sessions' decision to recuse himself from the investigation into whether Trump's campaign had any ties to Russia drove a wedge between Sessions and the president. Trump has frequently lambasted Sessions on Twitter, criticizing his job performance and his decision to recuse.

Matthew Whitaker, Sesions' chief of staff, will take over as acting attorney general, Trump tweeted.

With Whitaker's ascension, it's believed that he will take control of the Russia investigation and oversight over Special Counsel Robert Mueller. Because of Sessions' recusal, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein is currently overseeing the Mueller and his investigation.

Department of Justice rules require that all subpoenas, indictments and major moves within the investigation be approved by Rosenstein or the DOJ official overseeing the special counsel's office.

Chip Brownlee | Editor-in-chief

Chip Brownlee, senior in journalism and political science, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Attorney General Jeff Sessions resigns at Trump's request” on social media.