Auburn basketball's Austin Wiley, Samir Doughty out for exhibition, 'doubtful' for season opener

<p>Austin Wiley (50) via Wade Rackley / Auburn Athletics.</p>

Austin Wiley (50) via Wade Rackley / Auburn Athletics.

Fans hoping to see the full-fledged version of a loaded Auburn basketball roster will have to keep waiting.

Center Austin Wiley (foot) and guard Samir Doughty (ankle) will both miss the Tigers' exhibition against Lincoln Memorial on Friday night, head coach Bruce Pearl announced Thursday.

At SEC Media Day on Oct. 17, Pearl said Wiley had been dealing with a foot injury for a few weeks and had been put in a boot. Doughty sustained his high-ankle sprain a week later in a turn of events that "disrupted preseason camp."

Pearl said Tuesday that both Wiley and Doughty are getting "closer" to a return, but neither have practiced since their respective injuries. 

"The next contact practice we would have is Sunday," Pearl said. "So if either Austin or Samir — with Samir being the closest to being ready —if they could go through a contact practice this Sunday, they could be available for the home opener against South Alabama. But at this point, they’re both doubtful."

Wiley, who is widely regarded as the highest rated high school prospect to ever sign with Auburn hoops, sat out last season because of eligibility concerns amid the Chuck Person FBI investigation. NCAA regulations forced Doughty to sit for a year after transferring from VCU.

Auburn tips off with Division-II Lincoln Memorial on Friday at 7 p.m. CST. 

Pearl noted that Lincoln Memorial is ranked No. 2 in the Division-II preseason Top 25 and has won 30 or more games the past four seasons. Last year, Auburn fell in its exhibition to Barry University from Miami Shores, Florida, which was ranked No. 11.

READ NEXT: How Bruce Pearl plans to re-insert Austin Wiley into Auburn's lineup

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Auburn basketball's Austin Wiley, Samir Doughty out for exhibition, 'doubtful' for season opener” on social media.