Auburn student launches country music career

Reid Haughton, a sophomore marketing major at Auburn, has already achieved major career milestones as a musician.

<p>Contributed by Reid Haughton</p>

Contributed by Reid Haughton

Although Auburn has no shortage of cover bands and DJs, local singer-songwriters rarely take the stage at downtown venues.

Reid Haughton is looking to change that.

Haughton, a sophomore in marketing at Auburn, has already achieved major career milestones as a musician.

Haughton started playing guitar when he was eight years old and took up singing shortly after. He got his start performing at church and private events in middle school, but since he started college, Reid has played popular Auburn venues like Bourbon Street Bar and Sky Bar.

In the near future, Haughton is looking forward to a show in Athens, Georgia. 

He’ll be opening for the country artist Trea Landon at the 40 Watt Club on Nov. 9.

It’s no surprise that Haughton is a marketing major given his ability to self-promote. He regularly features song cover videos and announces upcoming shows on his Instagram feed, which has over 5,000 followers.

Although Haughton is pursuing a marketing degree at Auburn, he hopes to make music his full-time job after graduating. 

While his vocal quality and guitar-playing skills are impressive, Haughton’s talent doesn’t stop at performing. He also writes his own music.

“I find inspiration in anything from day-to-day life to thinking of home and the things that have made me who I am,” Haughton said about the songwriting process. 

In addition to his personal experiences, Haughton cited Chris Stapleton and Eric Church as artists who inspire his writing.

Haughton recently reached a career milestone. He released his first single, “Make You Mine,” on all major music platforms on Sept. 29. Since its release just over a month ago, the song already has over 50,000 hits on Spotify. 

Haughton’s captivating sound and stage presence are complemented by thoughtful and original lyrics that could attract even those who don’t typically choose to listen to country music. 

Given the success of his first single and the overwhelmingly positive reaction he’s received from the Auburn community, it seems that Haughton has a promising career in music ahead of him.

Share and discuss “Auburn student launches country music career” on social media.