Unexpected exercises being offered in the form of group fitness at The Rec

<p>Students workout at a fitness class at the Auburn Wellness and Recreation Center on Oct. 25, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Students workout at a fitness class at the Auburn Wellness and Recreation Center on Oct. 25, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

A group of prospective high school students walk through the Recreation and Wellness Center holding bags of flyers and informational material when they stumble upon 12 students jumping on trampolines.

Seeming odd, the group of prospective students would never have guessed that the collection of jumping college students was actually one of the many group-fitness classes offered by The Rec.

Group Fitness at The Rec is a social alternative for those who do not like exercising alone. The program began in 2008 and has been growing steadily over the past ten years. 

Christy Coleman was brought onto the program in 2010 and has been helping to add new creative group fitness outlets for students since then. 

“I do feel like some students need groups—they just need that socialization,” Coleman said. “Some students prefer to work in packs, if you will, and have others to motivate them, have that experience that they’re sharing with other people, their peers. I also feel like some people need instruction. They don’t necessarily know what to do or how to accomplish their goals.” 

The program has 50 instructors, 40 of which are students. All instructors must complete one semester of training or have an outside certification.

The top five most popular group fitness classes are Butts and Guts, Turbokick, Tiger Pump, Yoga and the Cycling Classes. 

One of the lesser known classes is Bounce 30, where participants jump on a trampoline.

“I think it’s just a fun class to be honest,” Coleman said. "Jumping on a mini trampoline, it brings back those memories of being in elementary school. It is an effective workout because there is really no impact on the joints. You are using that trampoline to absorb the shock on your joints. So you can get a really great workout in a short period of time, and it’s not a pounding on your feet and hips and knees.” 

For students who are interested in attending but may be nervous, Coleman suggested talking to the instructors prior to class. The instructors can put a student at ease or modify the workouts to specific skill levels. 

“I would love our students to give it a shot,” Coleman said. “I mean, if I look at the percentage of students that attend group fitness classes, it’s probably 1 to 2 percent of our student body. It’s very small. So, to bring them into campus recreation is the number one goal. For them to be brave enough to say ‘hey I want to try a group fitness class,’ that would be my number two goal.” 

Many students like the motivation that accompanies a group fitness course. By working out with others, they find themselves pushed to limits they didn’t expect. 

“Campus recreation is an outlet for students who are under a lot of stress, who are having to start making healthy choices, who need a place to get away from just the pressure of academics, of social engagements, just the whole conglomerate of just being away and independent,” Coleman said. 

Share and discuss “Unexpected exercises being offered in the form of group fitness at The Rec” on social media.