The Circle SNAPS its newest edition out

"I feel like stories are made for sharing, so it was a good opportunity.”

<p>The Circle celebrates the release of the newest edition of magazine at the Red Barn in Auburn, Ala. on Nov. 27, 2018.&nbsp;</p>

The Circle celebrates the release of the newest edition of magazine at the Red Barn in Auburn, Ala. on Nov. 27, 2018. 

Underneath a gleam of fairy lights, the sound of snapping filled the Red Barn as another student stepped away from the microphone. 

SNAPS is a gathering organized by The Circle, Auburn's student-run literary and art magazine, to kick off the release of its newest semesterly edition. The event’s name is a nod to how appreciation is shown to artists during the event. 

“[We’re here] to spread the word about something that we’ve been working really hard at and something we’re very passionate about,” said Julia Fink, poetry editor for The Circle. 

The Circle puts on SNAPS each semester not only to celebrate their newest edition but also to bring together Auburn students who have an interest in art and literature.

Along with poetry, prose and music, The Circle provided free coffee and snacks as an encouragement to brave the weather and enjoy the work of the artists, some of whom read their works that had been published in The Circle.

Chloe Mcmahon, prose editor for The Circle, loves the event because it is an opportunity to share her work with others who share the same interests.

“It’s going to sound cliche, but it really does mean the world to me,” Mcmahon said. “Writing is such a raw form of expression, and we live in a day and age where people don’t necessarily value being like that type of real with each other. I feel like stories are made for sharing so it was a good opportunity.”

Cecilia Wood, managing editor of The Circle, appreciates the universality of writing and how it can connect seemingly disparate people, worlds and experiences through common emotions and humanity.

“I really like seeing the way that people put into words those emotions that you don’t think that other people feel, and you look at the magazine and realize those emotions you had are universal, and you feel connected to everyone else,” Wood said.

Those involved with the event made sure to stress the openness of The Circle to anyone interested, even if they don’t consider themselves traditionally artistic or expressive. 

“One thing I would say is that if someone is like, 'I’m not a writer,' give yourself a pen and some paper and some honesty and you’ll get something out of writing,” Mcmahon said.

The diversity and modality of artforms were also expressed in the event through live music and the art exhibits scattered about the venue to be enjoyed between readings.

“I feel like people think that there is such a high barrier for entry to art and literature, so us putting together this free magazine that you can grab on your way into class and use as a coffee table piece or whatever will get more people into art and literature than there may have been,” said Greer Miceli, graphic designer for The Circle.

Share and discuss “The Circle SNAPS its newest edition out” on social media.