The only female friend of Aubie recounts what it was like going into the suit

Aubie walks in the Tiger Walk prior to Auburn Football Vs. Southern Miss Saturday, Sept. 29, in Auburn, Ala.

He bounds onto the field with his signature walk, interacting with cheerleaders and cheering on the team, all without saying a word. Aubie’s legacy has endured for years, a favorite among students, alumni, kids and guests. His personality has made him famous and won him many competitions. 

However, once, Aubie was a female. Over the 59 years of Aubie, only one woman has ever been inside the suit, bringing the laughter. 

When she realized she was too tall to try out for cheerleading, Viki Woerner discovered that there was another way to support the Auburn Tigers—as the lovable, famous mascot.

At the time, however, Aubie wasn’t famous. He was still in his origins, and Woerner became part of the legacy that brought Aubie to where he is now by becoming a "friend of Aubie." 

Woerner cemented the idea after her first meeting where they talked about tryouts. The idea that no one would know who was in the suit appealed to her. 

“I have seen and heard of many females trying out and have encouraged them when they’ve reached out to me, but unfortunately there hasn’t been another female at Auburn,” Woerner said. 

As the one and only female friend of Aubie, Woerner made history. However, there were some challenges associated with this. 

“I was able to do the Georgia game in 1979, and my mom drove me to the game in Athens along with my sister,” Woerner said. “Having to change in the girls bathroom was problematic in that I was teased coming out.”

Woerner said that because the Aubie tradition had just begun, there was only one suit, and it was hot. Participants could only last 15 to 20 minutes before needing a break. 

“It remained sweaty and quite smelly the duration of the year,” Woerner said. “Whenever I wore it, I would have to try and dry it with a hairdryer just to be able to put it on.”

In addition to football games, Aubie attended basketball games, elementary schools, alumni meetings and other events. 

"It was seeing the children smile and laugh, as well as adults,” Woerner said. “It was supposed to be a secret who exactly was in the suit, so Aubie would not be associated with a person.”

Woerner has an Auburn legacy outside of the excitable tiger. She graduated in early childhood education in 1982. Woerner’s brother, sister-in-law, daughter, nieces and nephews have all graduated from Auburn as well. 

“I also felt it was important to 'give back’ and became a lifetime member of the Auburn Alumni Association as well as donated to the Jef Arnold Endowment, which was created in memory of a former Aubie who tragically died,” Woerner said. “I was so honored to receive the Aubie Award for Excellence at our 35th reunion for supporting the Aubie program through the years.”

Before Auburn, Woerner moved around a lot. She was not traditionally a southern Alabama girl. 

“As a child I was an ‘Air Force brat’ while my dad flew in the Vietnam War,” Woerner said. “I attended so many different schools in Germany, Indiana, Florida and finally settled in Baldwin County, Alabama.”  

After graduation, Woerner worked with kindergartners for 29 years but was also a medical transcriber and a cheer coach. Woerner may not be working with "tigers" anymore but she does work with chickens. She and her husband live in Mississippi and have 32 free-range chickens. 

Previous friends of Aubie form bonds together since they share that experience. 

“I absolutely love all of the guys and have enjoyed our reunions so very much,” Woerner said. “To have been able to meet their wives, children and some grandchildren now has been a blessing. It is so hard to believe that time has passed so quickly, and I’m not surprised that Aubie is such a recognized and loved mascot all over the country.”

Share and discuss “The only female friend of Aubie recounts what it was like going into the suit” on social media.