Auburn alumus Will Ainsworth is Alabama's next lieutenant governor

Will Ainsworth has been elected Alabama's next lieutenant governor. (Photo via Will Ainsworth's Twitter)

The Auburn graduate who brought a fiberglass tiger to a press conference is Alabama's next lieutenant governor. 

Republican Will Ainsworth has won the race for lieutenant governor, filling the vacancy that was last left by newly re-elected Governor Kay Ivey. The office has been vacant since 2017. 

Ainsworth won with 63 percent of the vote, compared to Democrat Will Boyd's 37 percent, according to the incomplete unofficial results. 

Ainsworth, 37, used his campaign to focus on education, specifically rural schools and their need for connectivity through technology. In addition to education, Ainsworth wanted to shift the reputation of Alabama to be more desirable to those who live in the state. 

He said Alabama has much to offer, and that shouldn't be affected by the corruption that has tainted the state in the last few years. 

Ainsworth is a former youth minister who founded the Tennessee Valley Hunting and Fishing Expo. He first ran for political office in 2014.

Share and discuss “Auburn alumus Will Ainsworth is Alabama's next lieutenant governor ” on social media.