Auburn alumna who founded Iraq's first 'green building' company to co-chair World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland

Basima Abdulrahman, a Fulbright scholar, is set to co-chair the major international meeting that brings global leaders in business and government from around the world to Switzerland from Jan. 22 to Jan. 25.

Basima Abdulrahman, a 2014 Auburn graduate, will co-hair the World Economic Forum annual meeting in Davos, Switzerland in January 2019.

An Auburn alumna who founded Iraq's first sustainable architecture firm will co-chair this year's World Economic Forum meeting in Davos, Switzerland, later this month.

President Donald Trump attended the meeting last year, but canceled his appearance this year because of the government shutdown. Last year, more than 340 public figures including more than 70 heads of state and government and 45 heads of international organizations attended the meeting.

“I am passionate about utilizing the natural environment because it is my belief that embracing the world around us empowers people,” Abdulrahman said. “Not to mention, at this rate we have 12 years to limit the climate change catastrophe, and since buildings emit approximately one-third of GHG emissions, designing them to meet sustainability features is one of the key strategies to combating the issue.” 

This year's theme is "Globalization 4.0: Shaping a Global Architecture in the Age of the Fourth Industrial Revolution."

Abdulrahman, a 2014 Auburn graduate who is part of WEF's network of Global Shapers, is one of six young leaders who will serve as co-chairs. Among the other co-chairs is the World Bank President Jim Yong Kim and Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella.

Welcoming Remarks by Klaus Schwab, Founder and Executive Chairman, World Economic Forum during the Welcoming Remarks and Special Address at the Annual Meeting 2018 of the World Economic Forum in Davos, January 23, 2018. (World Economic Forum / Manuel Lopez)

Abdulrahman is set to provide input on how to best build a global architectural landscape to lift people out of poverty in a sustainable way. 

Ultimately, she said she hopes her position as co-chair and her ideas on sustainable building will highlight the role of youth in setting the tone and vision for the meeting’s theme.

"When I was notified that I was selected as a co-chair, I was humbled by the opportunity,” Abdulrahman said. “I also felt the massive responsibility it carries and the importance to best echo the voices of youth across the globe.” 

A graduate in civil engineering, Abdulrahman developed a passion for sustainable building along with her knowledge of engineering. 

After graduating, she founded her own company, KESK, which means “green” in Kurdish. It's the first "green building" company in Iraq.

An Iraqi native, Abdulrahman said she places high importance on helping her home country make better environmental choices when it comes to architecture. 

She said the economic and financial crisis in Iraq that followed the war on terrorism in combination with the drop in oil prices highlights the need to develop plans for a sustainable future that conserves use of resources.

Her accomplishments are particularly noteworthy given the aftermath of the recent war against ISIS in the region surrounding Erbil in Iraqi Kurdistan, where her company is located, and the neighboring governorate of Nineveh, which is home to Mosul.

Through KESK, Abdulrahman hopes to improve the environment and promote social cohesion in the region.

“It is critical to rebuild Iraqi cities to be more sustainable and inclusive through making buildings and infrastructures smart, healthy, environmentally responsible and resource efficient,” said Abdulrahman. “And while my company, KESK, is the first company in Iraq to specialize in green building, we hope to pave the road for others to go green.” 

Abdulrahman has spoken in the past at the Women Power Summit, TEDxNishtiman and Global Climate Action Summit. She was also featured in the Real Leaders magazine as one of the 100 Visionary Leaders for 2018.

Chip Brownlee | Editor-in-chief

Chip Brownlee, senior in journalism and political science, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Auburn alumna who founded Iraq's first 'green building' company to co-chair World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland” on social media.