SGA president and other seniors share advice for ultimate Auburn experience

<p>A student's cap at&nbsp;Auburn University's commencement exercises in Auburn Arena in Auburn, Ala. on Saturday, Dec. 16, 2017.</p>

A student's cap at Auburn University's commencement exercises in Auburn Arena in Auburn, Ala. on Saturday, Dec. 16, 2017.

Auburn Unviersity offers many different activities that can shape a student’s college experience. Thus many students can leave Auburn having only experienced half of what the University has to offer. 

As high school students prepare to attend a college, Auburn appeals for a number of reasons. However, for graduating seniors at Auburn, reminiscing can prove a bittersweet time.

As Auburn seniors reflected on their Auburn experience, they created an Auburn bucket list full of “must do before leaving Auburn items.”

Dane Block

“I believe one thing I would recommend students to do before they leave is to find an older mentor,” Dane Block, SGA president senior in finance, said. “This may be an older individual in your major or organization.”

“Now something fun … attend as many sporting events as possible,” Block said. “With football being the center of attention in the fall, the spring is loaded with various sporting events. As students, we have the opportunity to attend a lot of these events free of charge.”

Block said that he was never pushed toward Auburn, despite his mother having attended the University. 

“What intrigued me most about Auburn were the endless opportunities,” Block said. “Tasked with creating my own unique experience, I was eager and ready to begin my journey. Looking back, four years later, there is not a thing I would change. Auburn has been perfect in every way as I have developed into the person I am today … spiritually and academically.”

Block said that he has seen himself grow tremendously over his four years at Auburn, but that it is normal to feel confused at the start. 

“Part of the journey we call college is about defining your path,” Block said. “Once we define our path, it is our responsibility to pursue it with all of our heart and might.”

Part of Auburn University is getting to create experiences for yourself with the people you come to know and love. 

“Auburn is a great place, full of great people,” Block said. “It is these people, or the Auburn Family as we know it, that make your experience what it is. I am extremely grateful for the community I have built over the past four years. They have pushed me above and beyond any expectation I ever set for myself.”

With many paths that students can take at Auburn, some might choose athletics, others might fall in love with the theater, but Block chose to pursue student government. 

Elected in 2018, Block was given one year as SGA president to work with and serve the Auburn student body. 

“This past year serving as SGA president has been the most unique, challenging, yet rewarding memory of my time at Auburn,” Block said. “It has not been the opportunities or experiences that have made this memory what it is today. It is the people and the chances to engage on a daily basis that have made this experience the best yet. The opportunity to lay myself down and serve day in and day out for the betterment of Auburn and all who represent it will be something I will always see as a blessing and be grateful for.”

Block has three pieces of advice for freshman at Auburn. 

“Work hard. College is supposed to be a lot of fun, and it will be, but most importantly, it is a time for you to get an education,” Block said. “Take advantage of the resources provided at Auburn and be the best student you can be … it pays off.”

Secondly, Block wanted students to find something they were passionate about at Auburn. Block was able to pursue his passion through SGA and other opportunities at Auburn and assured freshman that there is something for them, too.

“Find something you enjoy and pursue it,” Block said. “If it’s something new, be a pioneer and see where it takes you.”

Finally, Block encouraged students to enjoy themselves. As almost any alumni would tell a student, Auburn is a place to make some of the best memories of your life. 

“Have the time of your life – Auburn is full of great people and great things to do,” Block said. “Enjoy this time, and do not take one second for granted. Seize every moment, and make the memories that will last you a lifetime.”

Naomi Hampton

“I highly recommend visiting Chewacla State Park at least once before you leave. They have waterfalls, tons of hiking paths, lakes, bike trails and so much more. It’s a great place to hang up your Eno and relax while taking a break from classes.”

Naomi Hampton was not the typical in-state student who chooses to attend either Alabama or Auburn. Hampton chose Auburn after visiting from out of state. She is now a senior with a pre-vet, wildlife sciences major. 

“I chose to come to Auburn because from the moment I stepped on campus, I felt like a part of the family,” Hampton said. “Being an out of state student, I wanted to make sure I would feel welcome and have a good support network being so far from home, and Auburn gave me that and so much more.”

In a taxing major like Hampton’s, one of the reasons she chose Auburn was because of its advanced programs. 

“I learned so much about myself and my goals just in my first year, and I haven’t stopped since,” Hampton said. “It’s taken time, but being here has helped me so much in how I see myself and others and has allowed me to see so many different perspectives from everyone I meet.”

Even though focused on her education, Hampton got to experience the magic of Auburn football like many students. 

“I have a ton of favorite memories from here at Auburn, but the first one that comes to mind is rushing the field after the 2017 Iron Bowl,” Hampton said. “It was the first and only Iron Bowl I was able to go to and after waiting in line all day, it was great to be able to come out of it with a win and rush the field with everyone else.”

“Make sure to take time to hang out with friends and explore the area because you’re only here for so long, and while you can obviously come back after you graduate, it’s never really the same as when you’re in college,” Hampton said. “The friends you make here will become your family, even if you don’t realize it until the end. All in all, work hard and have fun. It may be stressful, but it is so worth it.”

Schyler Burney

“On a random, pretty day, grab some friends and go get lunch to-go from Toomers,” said Schyler Burney, SGA vice president and senior in economics. “Take it over to Samford Lawn and just embrace the moment. Sitting on Samford and eating Toomers — how much more Auburn can you get?”

Burney came from a small high school and looked forward to a campus with space and opportunity. 

“As soon as I stepped on Auburn’s campus, I knew that this University would give me the opportunities to get plugged in, while also allowing me to experience the feeling of a close-knit campus community,” Burney said. 

Burney, much like Brock, pursued a path of student government and served in 2018 as the vice president of SGA. 

“College is an adventure,” Burney said. “I have seen myself grow as an individual, as a friend and as a leader. All of these are products of me buying into what Auburn has to offer.”

Auburn University is full of many experiences that are traditionally Auburn. From football games to calling out “War Eagle,” students know an Auburn tradition when they see it. For Burney, many of these memories are her favorites. 

“The 2017 Iron Bowl has been my favorite Auburn memory, hands down,” Burney said. “From rushing the field to experiencing Toomer’s Corner for the days that followed, those are memories that I will cherish long past my time at Auburn.”

Burney said that through her mentors, friends and those who pushed her to grow, she is adapting into the best version of herself. For freshmen, Burney said they should be OK stepping into a moment of uncertainty. 

“When I look back, I grew the most in moments of uncomfortableness,” Burney said. “While it can be intimidating to try new things, be confident in stepping out of your comfort zone because you will learn something no matter how the situation turns out. Overall, just make the most of your time here. It goes by in the blink of an eye.”

Amanda Strength

“One thing that I recommend students to do before they leave Auburn is to go grab a lemonade at Toomer’s Corner,” said Amanda Strength, senior in history and transer from Southern Union Community College.

Strength wanted to find a program to support her through her bachelor’s degree, and Auburn was the right fit. 

“I have seen myself grow tremendously here at Auburn,” Strength said. “I have learned to become more independent in my studies … I have became a better version of myself by getting my mental health in check. This has not been an easy ride here, but I will never give up. I believe in Auburn as much as Auburn believes in me.”

Part of what makes Auburn the place it is today is the community. Strength found her fiancé at Auburn two years ago and can now claim Auburn as the city where she fell in love. 

Strength said that freshmen should not be afraid of changing their major. One reason that Strength is now a senior in history is because she gained the confidence to switch from education, which was not the right path for her. 

“You should do research on what your next step is and talk to your advisor,” Strength said. “Never let anything stop you from being happy. War Eagle.”

Share and discuss “SGA president and other seniors share advice for ultimate Auburn experience” on social media.