Jarrett Stidham helps draft stock at Senior Bowl week

Jarrett Stidham (8) warms up before  Auburn Football vs. Washington on Saturday, Sept. 1, 2018 in Atlanta, Ga.
Jarrett Stidham (8) warms up before Auburn Football vs. Washington on Saturday, Sept. 1, 2018 in Atlanta, Ga.

Before the 2018 season began, lofty expectations were put on Jarrett Stidham. After winning the 2017 SEC Newcomer of the Year, many labels Stidham as a potential Heisman candidate, as well as a possible first-round pick.

However, Stidham was never able to meet those expectations, and suffered from an inexperienced supporting offensive cast most of the 2018 season, headlined by the offensive line. As a result, Stidham suffered a decrease in his statistical performance from the previous season and watched as his draft stock slowly lower over the course of the season.

After announcing his decision to enter the 2019 NFL Draft, Stidham began the process of increasing his stock with a tremendous Music City bowl performance, in which he threw for 373 yards and five touchdowns in Auburn’s 63-14 blowout victory over Purdue.

Saturday, Stidham donned the Auburn helmet one last time as he participated in the annual Reese's Senior Bowl, held in Mobile, Alabama, where NFL general managers and scouts test the nations best senior prospects in a series of drills and exercises before concluding with a full scrimmage on Saturday.

In his final game playing in the state of Alabama, Jarrett Stidham took the field for the South in its 24-34 loss to the North. He totaled 30 yards after completing four passes on just five attempts. He also fumbled during his first drive of the game, setting up the North’s touchdown drive to take the lead 17-12.

Although Stidham did not have an outstanding performance in the final scrimmage, NFL scouts have been impressed by his performances in drills and QB exercises earlier in the week. 

On Thursday, he was recognized by Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy by being honored with the QB of the Week Award. Stidham stood out among eight other quarterbacks competing for the award and will hope to continue improving his draft stock at the 2019 NFL Combine and at Auburn's Pro Day.

“They’re always going to ask questions on the system you played in college versus the NFL just because it is so drastically different,” Stidham told The Athletic's Justin Ferguson. “But at the same time, what’s your opportunity to grow? That’s where I’m trying to hit home with, and I could never learn too much. Really, I’m just trying to come out here and execute the offense and show that I can do it.”

Share and discuss “Jarrett Stidham helps draft stock at Senior Bowl week ” on social media.