Projecting Auburn football's 2019 depth chart: Defense, special teams

Daniel Thomas (24), Chandler Wooten (31) and Marlon Davidson (3) celebrate during the first half of Auburn Football vs. Texas A&M on Saturday, Nov. 3, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

Plainsman sports writer Sumner Martin gives a sneak peek at who could be starting for the Tigers in 2019 as Gus Malzahn enters his seventh season as head coach.

BUCK: Nick Coe

2. Richard Jibunor, T.D. Moultry

T.D. Moultry (55) kneels for an injured player during Auburn Football vs. Tennessee on Saturday, Oct. 13, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.

The Tigers will be loaded at Buck in 2019. Coe, who returns after leading Auburn with 13.5 tackles for a loss last season, will lead a group of pass rushers that could carry the Tigers’ defense next season. Coe finished the season with seven sacks, three hurries and two forced fumbles. Jibunor and Moultry also have showed glimpses of talent if they can put it together in 2018 with some experience under their belts.

DT: Derrick Brown, Daquan Newkirk

2. Tyrone Truesdell, Coynis Miller

Derrick Brown during pre-game Auburn Football vs. LSU on Saturday, Sept. 15, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.

Derrick Brown is coming back to Auburn to lead the defensive line in 2019. Most expected Brown to be a first-round pick in the NFL Draft, but the senior will return after totaling 45 tackles and 4.5 sacks in 2018 as a starter. Newkirk, who came to Auburn from junior college, is expected to fill in for Dontavious Russell and Alec Jackson who are both headed to the NFL Draft.

DE: Marlon Davidson

2. Big Kat Bryant

Nick Fitzgerald (7) stiff-arms Marlon Davidson (3) during Auburn football vs. Mississippi State on Oct. 6, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

Davidson was the next Auburn defensive player in a string of decisions to opt for one more year on the Plains. Davidson, although he didn’t have a particularly dominant 2018, brings stability and experience back for the Tigers. The rising senior has started 38 games over the past three seasons and has 17 tackles for loss, 9.5 sacks and three blocked field goals. Bryant, as fans saw in the Music City Bowl victory against Purdue, has the skill set and will be ready to fill in when called upon.

SAM LB: Chandler Wooten

2. K.J. Britt

Expect there to be quite a bit of movement and experimentation here. The Tigers lost all three starting linebackers, so the young guns will have to step up. Wooten, who started against Tennessee and Texas A&M in 2018, will most likely step in as a versatile linebacker where Darrell Williams has been the last few years.

MIKE LB: K.J. Britt

2. Michael Harris

K.J. Britt (33) runs the ball during Auburn Football vs. Arkansas on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.

At times last season, it seemed as if linebackers’ coach Travis Williams and senior Deshaun Davis were grooming Britt as the next Mike linebacker. The rising junior was able to get experience in 2018 and has already gotten the reputation as an aggressive, hard-hitting linebacker sitting at 6-feet, 228 pounds.

WILL LB: Owen Pappoe

2. Zakoby McClain

Owen Pappoe (1) via Twitter. 

With such a gap a one position, teams can only hope to sign a homerun-hitter of a recruit. The Tigers are getting that with Owen Pappoe, who is an early enrollee and who was the No.1 outside linebacker recruit in the country. The Tigers will need Pappoe to come in immediately and compete for a starting job. McClain has also earned a lot of praise as a rangy, speedy linebacker, much like Pappoe, who can cover the whole field from the position. Don’t be shocked if these two young studs are major contributors for the defense.

CB: Noah Igbinoghene, Christian Tutt

2. Roger McCreary, Traivon Leonard

Ty Jones (20) catches a pass as Noah Igbinoghene (4) defends during the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game at  the Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Saturday, September 1, 2018, in Atlanta. (AJ Reynolds via Abell Images for Chick-fil-A Kickoff) 

The Tigers return just one starting cornerback in 2019 after Jamel Dean entered his name in the NFL Draft. Igbinoghene, who had an up-and-down 2018 as he transitioned from receiver to cornerback, showed he has the athleticism but will need to work on his coverage in the offseason. On the opposite side of the field, Tutt is expected to win the job. The rising sophomore totaled 22 tackles and one interception in his freshman season, and is considered one of the better cover-cornerbacks on the team.

S: (FS) Jeremiah Dinson, (SS) Daniel Thomas

2. Smoke Monday, Jamien Sherwood

Smoke Monday (21) celebrates an interception during Auburn Football vs Liberty on Saturday,  Nov. 17, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

This very well could be the deepest position for Auburn’s defense. Dinson and Thomas are the returning starters, and Monday and Sherwood both contributed more than any other freshman players on the defensive side of the ball last season. There should be healthy competition but expect seniors Dinson and Thomas to start, who combined for 25-of-26 possible starts in 2018.

NICKEL: Javaris Davis

2. Jordyn Peters

Jordyn Peters (15) pulls down a Southen Miss runner during Auburn Football Vs. Southern Miss Saturday, Sept. 29, in Auburn, Ala.

Davis elected to stay in school for his senior season, adding to an already experienced core of defensive backs. Davis has six interceptions over the past three seasons, which leads the team, and will start in 2019 barring injury. Peters, who was key on special teams in 2018, will be a solid backup.

K: Anders Carlson

Anders Carlson (26) kicks the ball during Auburn Football vs. Ole Miss on Saturday, Oct. 20, 2018, in Oxford, Miss.

There won’t be any surprises here next season. Carlson, despite having somewhat of a disappointing year going 15-of-25 on field goal attempts in 2018, has the job and Malzahn expects the young kicker to improve as a sophomore.

P: Arryn Siposs

Arryn Siposs (90) during Auburn Football vs. Washington on Saturday, Sept. 1, 2018 in Atlanta, GA. 

Siposs, on the other hand, is coming off a masterful first season for the Tigers. The Australian averaged 44.2 yards per punt and had 10 over 50 yards. He finished 18th in the country in overall punt average and should have another successful season in 2019.

PR: Christian Tut

Christian Tutt (6) runs the ball during Auburn Football vs. Southern Miss on Saturday, Sept. 29, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

This race will be more open for competition than most, but I expect Tutt to get the first look and eventually get the nod. The Thomson, Georgia native had a crucial 28-yard punt return against Texas A&M last season that eventually led the Tigers to a 28-24 win in the final minutes. Tutt, who was recruited as a cornerback and could easily start their as well come next season, has the advantage right now with his experience and versatility as a playmaker.

KR: Noah Igbinoghene AND Shaun Shivers

Shaun Shivers (25) runs the ball during Auburn Football vs Liberty on Saturday, Nov. 17, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

Both Igbinoghene and Shivers returned kicks last year and, for the most part, looked to be the most explosive on the team in that respect. The two finished the season ranked 48th nationally averaging 21.5 yards per return. Whitlow could potentially get some looks on return, but I don’t see Malzahn throwing arguably his most talented running back into an injury-prone situation if he doesn’t have to.

Share and discuss “Projecting Auburn football's 2019 depth chart: Defense, special teams” on social media.