The importance of a good hot tub when apartment shopping

The hot tub at The Hub, on Wednesday, Jan. 23, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

Bailey O’Sullivan is “borderline addicted to hot tubs.” 

“I think [hot tubs] are an underused resource,” O’Sullivan, an Auburn resident, said. “I used the hot tub here about every day for the two weeks leading up to exams.”

As many Auburn students have begun to look for housing for next year, many would benefit from following O’Sullivan’s lead.  

The whole ordeal of apartment shopping is stressful, and you, dear student, have undertaken the entire thing while trying to maintain your GPA. 

You have already made a full-page, double-spaced, color-coded list of features you want in this new apartment, but you should consider adding a hot tub to that list.  

Find one of those balmy, bubble-based body basins so you can delicately dip your drowsy digits in and soak all the pain away. 

“I’ll hit the hot tub almost as a ritual now,” O’Sullivan said. “Once I hit it enough days in a row, it’s almost like I am anticipating it the rest of the day like, ‘I can’t wait to hit the hot tub later.’”  

Is it the night before that big exam? Hot tub. Did that hot person you’ve been seeing for a month break up with you? Hot tub. Is it the night after you failed that big exam? Hot tub. 

“We don’t usually show off the hot tub,” said Bria Davis, an employee at one of the apartment complexes in Auburn. “It’s just something that’s like, ‘hey, it’s back there.’”

It is important to note that not all hot tubs are made equally. Some are large, some are small, some are deep and some are shallow; this is irrelevant. 

You’re looking for temperature and bubblage. 

On your next tour, don’t be content to just look at the hot tub. Peel off that sock and dip a toe in. Feel the water. If it’s not warm, don’t even finish the tour. Leave. 

Go and spend your time somewhere else. 

If the temperature is OK, check the bubblage. Find the little box with that special little dial and crank it. If nothing happens, leave. This place is not worth your time. 

Without a working bubble pump, this hot tub is nothing more than a polluted pool of people’s germs. 

Once you find the apartment with that perfect hot tub, sign a lease within the hour. 

This is not something to dilly dally about. 

You do not want to lose this fully hypnotic, semi-aquatic, lack-of-action satisfaction.

Share and discuss “The importance of a good hot tub when apartment shopping” on social media.