Newly inaugurated Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee reflects on time at Auburn

Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey isn’t the only Auburn graduate occupying a governor’s mansion in the United States

Gov. Bill Lee, an Auburn alumnus, speaks after being sworn in as the governor of Tennessee. (Justin Wright / State of Tennessee)

Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey isn’t the only Auburn graduate occupying a governor’s mansion in the United States. Recently inaugurated Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee has an Auburn degree, too.

A 1981 graduate, Lee was sworn into office earlier this month for his first four-year term. The Republican businessman was elected in November.

Lee told The Plainsman that his time at Auburn was formative for him.

“My years at Auburn absolutely shaped my future,” Lee said. “Many of my friends today are from my time at Auburn, and it was a remarkable education that’s opened so many doors for me. As they say, ‘There’s just something about it.’”

At Auburn, Lee lived in a house behind the then-Auburn theater on Burton Street along with seven other guys. Lee said they’re still friends to this day.

After graduating from college, Lee went on to work at his family’s construction company, Lee Company, where he was CEO from 1992 to 2016 and briefly served as chairman. His grandfather started the business in 1944.

His history of public service coincided with his business career.

He was a representative on the Tennessee Higher Education Committee and a Belmont University trustee. A seventh-generation Tennessean, Lee was born and raised in Franklin, Tennessee, where he resides today with his wife on their family farm. He has four kids and five grandchildren.

Gov. Bill Lee, an Auburn alumnus, takes the oath of office. (Justin Wright / State of Tennessee)

During his campaign for governor, Lee focused largely on a socially and fiscally conservative platform, and he defeated his Democratic opponent, former Nashville Mayor Karl Dean, in the Nov. 6, 2018, general election. His campaign manager, Blake Harris, is also an Auburn graduate.

The new governor had some advice for Auburn students hoping to make a difference in the sphere of public service.

“You make a difference in life, and you will find yourself granted the opportunity to make a difference in all arenas, including public service,” Lee said. “The goal should not be political, but it instead should be about serving. If you happen to get into politics, be sure to hire a great team.”

Lee touched on similar ideas during his inaugural address.

“Our greatness has always come from the collective lives, service, commitment and sacrifice of those who came before us — because of what we have always done as a people together, in community with each other, in service to our state and to our neighbors,” Lee said in the address on Jan. 19.

The new governor promised to tackle major issues in Tennessee including crime, the opioid epidemic, health care affordability and education.

“These are the challenges of our day, and history will judge us based on how we meet them,” he said.

Lee told The Plainsman that his outlook on politics was formed, in many ways, during his time at Auburn, through his college friends and through the organizations he was involved in.

At Auburn, Lee was a Plainsman, a member of Kappa Alpha Order and a member of the Phi Tau Sigma engineering honor society. He graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering.

“I have used my degree throughout my career as a businessman and will continue to as governor,” Lee said.

Like any Auburn student or alum, Lee has his favorite traditions.

“I was a Plainsman and loved my time with this group,” Lee said. “Of course, Auburn football is a powerful tradition. When the eagle flies, there’s just nothing like it. Lots of folks may not remember, but another favorite tradition is the Sani-Freeze — aka The Flush. It was a great Friday night stop for ice cream.”

Chip Brownlee | Editor-in-chief

Chip Brownlee, senior in journalism and political science, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Newly inaugurated Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee reflects on time at Auburn” on social media.