University requiring two-factor authentication for emails, class registration starting Feb. 25

A reminder to sign up for Duo on Auburn Universities email login website on Feb. 9, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

Registration for classes will change permanently on Feb. 25, when the University will start to require students to use DUO, a two-factor authentication system. 

DUO is a way to keep students' identities safe and protect their information. Students can sign up using the DUO app or log onto auburn.edu/2factor. This begins with the banner ID and birthday. 

When signing up, students are also asked about the type of device they are registering — whether it's a mobile phone, tablet or landline. If students choose the mobile option, they are asked to enter their number and model of phone. 

The app is required for mobile users, and it is free on the app store. A QR code is available for quick registration on the website.

After finishing with registration for the system, users are prompted to choose an authentication method, which could be a passcode, push or call. 

DUO will also be required in order to access the TigerMail account, which is the University's email system and primary method of communication. 

If those registering have issues, they can visit the Information Technology Service Desk in Ralph Brown Draughon Library. 

The Auburn ID Survival Guide for Employees and Faculty describes DUO as the product Auburn University uses for securing logins with two-factor authentication, which is a secondary proof of identity, such as being in possession of your smartphone in addition to knowing your password. Various Auburn systems and applications require two-factor authentication, such as direct-deposit areas of AU Access and the VPN Client.

Duo.com provides information for anyone wishing to know more about the service. 

“Passwords are increasingly easy to compromise,” DUO’s website said. “They can often be stolen, guessed, or hacked — you might not even know someone is accessing your account. Two-factor authentication adds a second layer of security, keeping your account secure even if your password is compromised. With Duo Push, you'll be alerted right away (on your phone) if someone is trying to log in as you.”

Share and discuss “University requiring two-factor authentication for emails, class registration starting Feb. 25” on social media.