GoodwillSR donates $15,000 to families affected by tornadoes

Tornado damage along Lee Road 38 on Wednesday, March 6, 2018, in Beauregard, Ala.

Goodwill of the Southern Rivers announced it will donate $15,000 to those affected by the March 3 tornadoes that devastated Lee County.

Goodwill donated the money in the form of gift cards to the East Alabama and West Georgia chapters of the American Red Cross as well as to Lee County Sheriff Jay Jones and his agency. 

The Red Cross will be responsible for distributing the gift cards. The cards are valid at any GoodwillSR location. 

“The families who have lost their homes as a result of these storms have no place to store household items and clothes right now,” said GoodwillSR Director of Communications Julie Bennett. “So, we donated the gift cards to the Red Cross to make the right resources available at the right time to those storm victims who are in need. Once they have relocated into temporary housing and identified their needs, they can use their Goodwill gift cards to begin the rebuilding process.” 

GoodwillSR serves 50 counties throughout East Alabama and West Georgia, many of which were affected by the tornadoes that killed at least 23 and left many more hospitalized. 

The Red Cross said the most urgent need at this time is monetary donations.

The press release also said the Red Cross will continue to offer aid in relief. The Red Cross can be reached at 334-749-9981. 

Those affected in Georgia can reach the Red Cross Columbus, Georgia, chapters at 706-323-5614 or the Albany, Georgia, location at 229-436-4845. 

Victims of the storms are also encouraged to call United Way at 211 for assistance reaching other local resources. 

Share and discuss “GoodwillSR donates $15,000 to families affected by tornadoes” on social media.