Latest: Instances of looting reported, sheriff says

Sheriff Jay Jones speaks during a press conference on Thursday, March 7, 2019 in Beauregard, Ala.

Lee County Sheriff Jay Jones said Thursday that a few instances of looting have been reported in some of the affected areas of southern Lee County since a tornado ripped through the area.

"We have addressed that immediately when we do have that," Jones said. "I'm happy to report that the reports have been few, and we aim to keep it that way."

Numerous outside law enforcement agencies are on hand assisting the Lee County Sheriff's Office. The office invoked a mutual aid agreement with other sheriff's offices and police departments throughout Alabama.

"We are deeply appreciative of that," Jones said.

There have been close to a hundred outside law enforcement personnel in Lee County assisting.

"If anyone out there is watching these newscasts, if they have any inkling about coming to Lee County, coming to Smiths Station, coming to Beauregard and have evil intent, then be forewarned: They will go to jail," the sheriff said.

Coroner Bill Harris said Thursday that the death toll remains at 23. Four remain hospitalized in ICUs in Columbus, Birmingham and Opelika.

Numerous local organizations are accepting donations. The Lee County EMA suggests monetary donations be made to the United Way of Lee County.

The Sheriff's Office and the district attorney have warned against donating to unknown organizations.

Chip Brownlee | Editor-in-chief

Chip Brownlee, senior in journalism and political science, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Latest: Instances of looting reported, sheriff says” on social media.