'We are Beauregard Strong': Sen. Doug Jones tours tornado damage

"You cannot fully appreciate what has happened here," Sen. Doug Jones said. The devastation "will absolutely take your breath away."

Alabama Sen. Doug Jones toured the damage from an EF4 tornado that hit Lee County on Sunday.

"You cannot fully appreciate what has happened here," Jones said Thursday on his tour. The devastation "will absolutely take your breath away."

Alabama's junior senator has been following the storm and its aftermath, sending a letter to President Donald Trump Tuesday asking for an expedited approval of Gov. Kay Ivey's major disaster declaration request. He approved the request Tuesday.

The area Jones toured was near Lee County Road 38 and Highway 51 — a portion of the Beauregard community where the destruction was most severe and the powerful tornado killed at least 23 people.

"We will rebound, we will rebuild and, right now — this county, this state, this country and this world — we are 'Beauregard Strong,'" Jones said.

Four remain hospitalized at intensive care units in Birmingham, Opelika and Columbus, Georgia.

Trump is expected to visit the area Friday.

"It will just take your breath away," Jones said. "The videos you are all shooting, the photographs, you can't — it doesn't do it justice. You can gasp when you see the videos, but when you're out here, it just takes your breath away."

The tornado, nearly a mile wide, cut a swath of devastation for 70 miles through Lee County and into Georgia, though most of the severe damage has been in southern Lee County, where Jones toured.

It was the most powerful tornado to his Lee County since 1875, the most powerful March tornado to hit Alabama since 1932 and the deadliest tornado in nearly six years.

While on his tour of the damage, he spoke with victims and families who are trying to recover from the storm. Alabama Power has estimated that at least 116 homes were destroyed or so severely damaged that crews can't restore power until the homes are repaired or replaced.

"We want to grieve, we want to mourn for those who we've lost, but we also want to celebrate the acts of heroes and people like this, these incredible volunteers that are down here working," Jones said. "That's who we are in Alabama. It's pitching in in times of need."

Jones thanked the Samaritan's Purse team leader on site.

While surveying the damage, Jones found an old vinyl Temptations record.

"From my hometown of Fairfield, Alabama," he said, deciding to leave the record on the ground for fear of taking it from its owner. He took a dusty rose with him to remind him of the tornado's destruction.

"You hope you don't have to see this again, because it's pretty tough," Jones said.

He later spoke at a press conference with Lee County officials.

Lee County officials say the process has now moved from a search and rescue mode to a recovery mode. A volunteer reception center has been set up at Smith Station Baptist Church in Smiths Station, Alabama. Anyone wishing to volunteer should first report there.

The Lee County EMA recommends those who wish to make a monetary donation should do so with the United Way of Lee County. Other organizations are accepting donations of supplies.

FEMA is also on the scene. Anyone who has sustained damage to their home should at least register for FEMA aid. For help with FEMA assistance, residents affected by the storm with no insurance or low insurance should call 1-800-621-FEMA or visit disasterassistance.gov.

The American Red Cross is operating a shelter at Providence Baptist Church.

Chip Brownlee | Editor-in-chief

Chip Brownlee, senior in journalism and political science, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “'We are Beauregard Strong': Sen. Doug Jones tours tornado damage” on social media.