What is known about the Lee County tornado victims

Taylor Thornton, left, age 10, and Armondo AJ Hernandez, right, age 6, were among the youngest of the tornado's victims.

UPDATE 6:59 p.m.: A celebration of life service for Taylor Thornton, 10, will be held at First Baptist Church, Opelika, at 11 a.m. Visitation will be Thursday, March 7, from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the same location.

Officials in Lee County said at least 23 people died in the tornadoes that tore through Lee County, Alabama Sunday.

Lee County Sheriff Jay Jones said he fears the death toll could rise. As of 12:45 p.m. Tuesday, the death toll remains at 23.

Lee County Coroner Bill Harris said he will be meeting with the families of the victims at 2 p.m. in an undisclosed location. Of the 23 victims, 22 died at the scene and one died at the hospital, according to Harris. The victims ranged from a 6-year-old boy to a 89-year-old man. Most of the victims suffered extensive blunt-force trauma and many were sucked out of their homes, according to Harris. 

Harris released a list of the victims at a press conference on Tuesday, during which law enforcement and EMA officials said the process of searching for additional injured and unaccounted for is still ongoing.

The victims were identified Monday, and as of 10 p.m. Monday, those victims had been released to their families for funeral arrangements.

"We had to make sure absolutely that person was who we were told it was and who we thought it was," Harris said. "We were able to that."

Here are the stories of the victims. This article will be updated.

Armando "AJ" Hernandez

Armando "AJ" Hernandez was 6 years old. He was last seen on County Road 38 in Beauregard, according to reports on social media from family members. His mother posted on social media she was searching for her son.

Hernandez's mother, Kayla Melton, lost her home in the storm, and a GoFundMe account was set up for her.

Friends and family took to social media to express their grief.

David Dean

Dean, 53, died in his trailer when the tornado ripped it apart. 

His wife, Carol Dean, told the Associated Press that she rushed from her job at Walmart to plead with deputies to let her see her husband's body.

"They took me down to him," Dean told the Associated Press. "And I got to spend a little time with him before they took him away."

Charlotte Ann Miller

A GoFundMe was created Tuesday for Charlotte Ann Miller, who died in the tornado Sunday. Mary Smith created the GoFundMe. 

"Charlotte Ann Miller lost her life in the March 3 tornadoes. She is Justin Miller's mother. Please join me in raising money for Justin and Mary's funeral costs. As of right now I am not sure how much they will need, so the goal might change later. The Miller's are a wonderful family and their loss is tragic. Please, send prayers their way as they navigate this difficult time, " the GoFundMe reads.

Seven family members perish

Henry Lewis Stenson, 65, Florel Tate Stenson, 63, and Eric Jamal Stenson, 38, were all killed in the tornado, as well as their relatives by marriage: James Henry Tate, 86, , Raymond Robinson Jr., 63, Tresia Robinson, 62, and Maggie Delight Robinson, 57. According to Harris, the family perished when the home they were taking shelter in was struck by the tornado.

Sheila Creech and Marshall Lynn Grimes

Two people who had experienced the ups and downs of young love, Sheila Creech and Marshall Lynn Grimes, both 59, had a love story that last ended years ago. Two years ago, however, they reconnected online, Desteni Clifton, Creech's granddaughter, told the Montgomery Advertiser on Tuesday. The couple was killed during the tornado on Sunday during a group camping trip.

Taylor Thornton 

Taylor Thornton, 10, was also killed during a group camping trip on Sunday during the tornado. 

Thornton, of Opelika, was the first victim identified after the deadly tornado, and a GoFundMe was established in honor of the girl, which has already raised $35,000, surpassing the original $15,000 goal.

Felicia Woodall and Ryan Peace

Felicia Woodall and her partner Ryan Peace, both 22, were victims of the tornado. Their home was completely destroyed, according to social media posts from family members.

A GoFundMe was created on Tuesday to help with funeral expenses.

"This is set up for Ryan Pence and Felicia Woodall all donations collected will be divided between the two mothers to help with expenses from this untimely tragic event. I would personally like to thank everyone for the out pour of support from people we know and people they knew as well as the many people we have never met. Thank you for all your continued prayers and support," the GoFundMe reads.

This story will continue to be updated.

Mikayla Burns | Managing Editor

Mikayla Burns, senior in journalism and Spanish, is managing editor of The Auburn Plainsman.

Eduardo Medina | Enterprise Editor

Share and discuss “What is known about the Lee County tornado victims” on social media.