Eighth-annual Bo Bikes Bama to feature Gov. Kay Ivey this weekend

<p>Bo Jackson prepares to give a speech during Bo Bikes Bama 2017 on Saturday, April 29, 2017 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Bo Jackson prepares to give a speech during Bo Bikes Bama 2017 on Saturday, April 29, 2017 in Auburn, Ala.

The eighth-annual Bo Bikes Bama will feature Gov. Kay Ivey at the beginning of the event on Saturday. 

Started by Bo Jackson, a two-sport Auburn legend, the bike ride was first put on in 2012, following the tornadoes that ravaged Tuscaloosa, Alabama, and other parts of the state on April 27, 2011. 

Bo Bikes Bama supports the Alabama governor's emergency relief fund, which helps with aid and recovery and prepares communities for future disasters. Over the years, the event has raised more than $1.54 million fund, including over $130,000 this year. 

Held on the anniversary of the tornadoes, this year's installation will take place on Saturday. 

More than 1,000 participants have already signed up for this year's ride. On-site registration begins at 6 a.m., and cut-off times are listed on the website.

There will be a 20-mile ride starting at 10 a.m. and a 60-mile ride that starts at 7 a.m. Jackson starts each ride with the group. Each ride will begin at Auburn Arena. 

Ivey will give opening remarks at the ride beginning at 7 a.m.

There will be rest stops throughout the rides. 

Each ride will begin with a moment of silence, honoring the 23 lives lost in the tornadoes that struck Lee County on March 3, 2019. Free lunch will be provided to all participants at Auburn Arena when they complete the ride. 

Throughout the event's history, participants have come from 31 states and a few from other countries. Participants come from a wide array of backgrounds. 

Bo Bikes Bama will also host a charity auction and reception will be held Friday evening at 8 p.m. in the Auburn Alumni Center. 

Sponsors of Bo Bikes Bama include Nike, Trek, Big Communications, Platinum, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama, YellowWood, Chicken Salad Chick and Coca-Cola Bottling Company. 

Supporters of the event include Auburn Chamber of Commerce, Auburn Opelika Tourism, Bruno Event Team and Red Clay Brewing Company. 

Share and discuss “Eighth-annual Bo Bikes Bama to feature Gov. Kay Ivey this weekend” on social media.