New partnership lowers tuition for Southern Union students

The Auburn University Board of Trustees approved the program at its meeting on Friday, April 12, 2019.

<p>Board of Trustees meeting on April 12, 2019 in the Hotel at Auburn.</p>

Board of Trustees meeting on April 12, 2019 in the Hotel at Auburn.

Auburn and Southern Union State Community College have agreed to a partnership that makes Auburn more affordable for transfer students. 

Trustees approved the program, Path to the Plains, at its meeting on Friday, April 12, 2019. 

The program aims to make Auburn more accessible for two-year transfer students. 

“As a landgrant institution, Auburn University believes that access and affordability are paramount in our efforts to expand and elevate educational opportunities in Alabama,” Provost Bill Hardgrave said in a memo to the board.

It is aimed at highly motivated students who desire a four-year degree but face financial barriers. Trustees agreed to set the tuition rate at $129 per credit hour for the four semesters that students are concurrently enrolled at each of the institutions, which is the same rate in-state students pay at Southern Union. 

Auburn’s student and professional fees will also be waived for participating students. 

The program will initially be offered to a limited number of students studying biosystems engineering, public relations or geospatial and environmental informatics.  

Nearly 900 students from two-year institutions transfer to Auburn each year to complete their degrees.

Share and discuss “New partnership lowers tuition for Southern Union students” on social media.