Pride on the Plains to hold second-annual pride event this weekend in downtown Opelika

<p>Pride on The Plains is returning for its second year.</p>

Pride on The Plains is returning for its second year.

After the inaugural Pride on The Plains pride event last year brought in over 1,400 people, the organization is hoping the second-annual event will be as heavily attended. 

Pride on The Plains 2019 will have multiple events Friday and Saturday in downtown Opelika. 

Chad Peacock, president of Pride on The Plains, said he was hoping for last year's event to bring in about 300 or so people, but he was happily surprised with the large turnout. 

The weekend kicks off with a parade of about 25-30 groups. It will start at Town Hall Parking Lot at 6:30 p.m., and it will go through downtown Opelika, ending at Opelika Courthouse. At the courthouse, there will be entertainment and public speakers. 

"We encourage people to eat dinner in downtown Opelika," Peacock said. "A lot of the places in downtown Opelika are supporters of Pride on The Plains."

Some of the supporting businesses will be offering specials for pride weekend. 

An after party will be held at Irish Bred Pub from 10 p.m. until 2 a.m., featuring RuPaul's drag performer Roxxy Andrews. 

A festival will also be held on Saturday from noon to 6 p.m. in Kiesel Park. Peacock said it will all be kid-friendly with bouncy houses, food vendors and non-profit organizations. 

Pride on The Plains is a non-profit organization that Peacock created to bring more awareness to LGBT issues in the Auburn and Opelika area. 

"I saw a need, and I wanted to fill it," Peacock said. "I was tired of going to Birmingham for pride or Atlanta for pride; not that those prides aren't great. They are amazing, and I look up to them. But we have a University here, we have forward-thinking people. There's no reason we can't bring something special to our area."

Pride on The Plains holds smaller events throughout the year, which allows the organization to provide the bigger events, such as this weekend. 

"The feedback we've gotten — it's been amazing," Peacock said. "I really feel like it's making a difference."

Share and discuss “Pride on the Plains to hold second-annual pride event this weekend in downtown Opelika” on social media.