Montgomery man arrested in connection to car accident that killed Auburn man

<p>Police tape surrounds a crime scene.</p>

Police tape surrounds a crime scene.

A man from Montgomery was charged in connection to a car accident that left a 57-year-old Auburn man dead on early Tuesday morning.

Personnel from the Auburn Police Division, Auburn Fire Division and EMS paramedics responded to the accident on Wire Road at about 1:25 a.m., police said. 

APD discovered Joe Eugene Cleere, 57, of Auburn, laying on the road unresponsive. The motorcycle he had been riding was found along the road, as well, and Chief Deputy Lee County Coroner Gene Manning pronounced the victim dead on the road at about 3 a.m.

APD immediately began an investigation and located a suspected vehicle.The driver of the car George Shearer, 28, of Montgomery, was still occupying the vehicle. 

George Shearer, 28, of Montgomery, Ala., was arrested in connection to a fatal car accident on June 4, 2019.

Shearer was arrested for leaving the scene of an accident with injuries and was later charged with DUI after it was determined that he was under the influence of alcohol, police said. 

Additionally, he was charged with murder while he was incarcerated in the Lee County Jail. 

Shearer remains in jail on a $153,750 bond. The case is still under investigation. Police encouraged the public to call detectives if they have any information on the case. 

Share and discuss “Montgomery man arrested in connection to car accident that killed Auburn man” on social media.