Bo Nix 'frustrated' with performance after 24-6 win over Tulane

"He's frustrated about his play, and so I know that fire in him, he's gonna come back next week and be even better. He's young, he's gonna keep getting better and better each week, so I'm not too worried about him."

<p>Auburn Quarterback Bo Nix (10) in the game against Tulane on Saturday, Sep. 7, 2019 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Auburn Quarterback Bo Nix (10) in the game against Tulane on Saturday, Sep. 7, 2019 in Auburn, Ala.

Coming off an Oregon game where Bo Nix led Auburn on a game-winning drive in the final seconds, but also saw him throw two interceptions, the true freshman quarterback was looking for his home debut to feature more consistency. 

In No. 10 Auburn's 24-6 win over Tulane, Nix finished 19-for-37 for 207 yards and a touchdown. For Auburn, a win is a win but the Tigers know that they will need much more from their quarterback as they get closer to the SEC opener at Texas A&M on September 21. 

Stats do not tell the whole story for Nix's performance against Tulane. Even though he finished the contest without any interceptions, he had a number of errant throws that were nearly turnovers.

The former Alabama Mr. Football and Alabama Gatorade Player of the Year was happy to get the win but knows he's capable of more.

"Obviously winning the game, that's important," Nix said. "So at times I made some good plays, I moved the ball at certain points, and I made some pretty good throws just to move the chains once in a while, but I just have to be more consistent." 

Auburn struggled to run the ball in the first half, and as a result, Nix was forced to throw it more than planned in the first half. He had attempted 29 passes by halftime.  

Gus Malzahn complimented Nix but also acknowledged that forcing your quarterback to throw it 29 times in a half isn't what they wanted.

Auburn got the run game going in the second half, and because backup quarterback Joey Gatewood played the final six minutes, Nix did not have to throw it much in the second half.

Nix knows that he has to be more consistent with his quarterback play and teammates like Will Hastings, who caught Nix's lone touchdown pass Saturday night, have faith that Nix will play better and more consistently week in and week out moving forward.

"I thought he (Nix) played decent. I think he can play a little bit better," Hastings said. "I've seen him, and I know him very personally. He's frustrated about his play, and so I know that fire in him, he's gonna come back next week and be even better. He's young, he's gonna keep getting better and better each week, so I'm not too worried about him."

Share and discuss “Bo Nix 'frustrated' with performance after 24-6 win over Tulane” on social media.