Auburn's game plan for LSU QB Joe Burrow? 'We need to keep him off balance.'

<p>Joe Burrow (9) via LSU Athletics</p>

Joe Burrow (9) via LSU Athletics

The Southeastern Conference is as competitive as it has ever been in 2019, and, despite eight weeks of football in the books, there is still no clear winner for either division. 

However, the contenders for the western division title will emerge following this year’s installment of the “Tiger Bowl," where the Auburn Tigers will travel to Baton Rouge to challenge LSU and will be faced with the task of limiting the role of current Heisman favorite Joe Burrow.

In Tuesdays weekly press conference, Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn spoke about the emphasis placed upon containing Burrow.

“He's very accurate, and his timing with his receivers is really impressive to watch,” Malzahn said. “We just need to try to keep him off-balance and get him uncomfortable. ... And our defensive backs, we've got to play sound coverage.”

The defense is not taking Burrow’s talents lightly. Senior Marlon Davidson, three-time SEC Defensive Linemen of the Week this season, has confidence in the ability of his squad to perform on the big stage, however."

“It’s a challenge but, I mean, we’re still a good 'D,'" Davidson said. "We handle our own.” 

Burrow transferred to LSU in 2018 after departing from Ohio State. The 6-foot-4 native of Athens, Ohio, had an average first year in Baton Rouge, completing 57.8% of his passes, recording 16 passing touchdowns and taking 35 sacks.

This year, Burrow has flipped the switch. Through only seven games, the QB has recorded 29 touchdowns through the air — already an LSU single-season record — completed 79.4% of his passes and has only taken 12 sacks. 

Despite entering the season as an under-the-radar quarterback, the graduate transfer has now emerged as a legitimate Heisman candidate.

The Auburn defense will attempt to slow down Burrow and the LSU “video game” offense on Saturday at 2:30pm CST. 

Share and discuss “Auburn's game plan for LSU QB Joe Burrow? 'We need to keep him off balance.'” on social media.