Local business offers alternative therapy

Harmony in 3D is a local business on East University Drive that offers musical therapy sessions meant to find unison in mind, body and spirit. 

Through the use of Bio-Energetic Transduction-Aided Resonance, owner Sue Bradley and assistant MaryAynne Miller said they hope to tap into feelings of child-like nostalgia that have been blocked off by years of anxiety and tension.

Concertos by Chopin and symphonies by Haydn are just a few of the captivating classical works meant to help patrons detach from the outside world and find relaxation.

“When they come in, we gather as much personal information [as possible] so that we can get to know them and their preferences, then select or build a playlist for that person,” Miller said. “We understand we are a business, but we are more a service meant to help people relax.” 

Miller is Bradley’s granddaughter and an Auburn University senior in vocal performance. She works alongside her grandmother helping with daily office operations.

Harmony in 3D offers a 3D relaxation experience, on Oct. 1, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

Growing up in a musically driven family, Bradley was taught musical notes that had been scribbled into her old nursery rhyme books. She soon developed a passion for music, specifically for the piano, and dedicated her life to the teaching and appreciation of music. 

Bradley graduated from the University of Georgia with a degree in piano performance. Shortly after, Bradley graduated from Auburn University with a Master’s in music education.

Bradley has given piano lessons since her college days in Athens, Georgia, but she began teaching music appreciation at Southern Union Community College and Auburn University, where she worked until she retired in 2010. She then shifted her focus to her grandchildren and travelling.

After a spiritual moment using her BETAR machine in the mountains of northern Georgia, Bradley decided to start administering music therapy to others 30 years ago.

“I taught piano for 45 years, and learned how therapeutic it was for every student from 3-year-olds to 80-year-olds,” Bradley said. “My mantra was always, ‘Don’t turn them off from music by your demands or expectations,’ so I didn’t teach any music I didn’t like.” 

Bradley’s ultimate goal is to help people in her community learn how to relax, she said.

“To be more relaxed and to learn to relax through music,” Bradley said, describing the end goal of every session she administers.

Customers schedule appointments for a variety of reasons, ranging from depression, anxiety and stress to just wanting to have a good time, Bradley said.

“This is a very unique experience for any musician too,” Miller said. “It’s a different way you can hear any of your music. It helps with all kinds of patients, not just those with mental health issues but people with Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, cancer — helping them deal with pain.”

Share and discuss “Local business offers alternative therapy” on social media.