Teen charged in killing of Rod and Paula Bramblett involved in more traffic violations since fatal crash

<p>Johnston Taylor, 16, was charged with two counts of manslaughter.&nbsp;</p>

Johnston Taylor, 16, was charged with two counts of manslaughter. 

Johnston Taylor, the 16-year-old arrested in connection to the deaths of Rod and Paula Bramblett, could have his bond revoked because of more offenses involving the teen since the fatal crash. 

Taylor, of Auburn, was charged as an adult with two counts of manslaughter. Taylor plowed into the Brambletts' vehicle traveling 89-91 mph, according to officials.

Taylor was issued at least three traffic citations in November, according to the motion. Those citations involved him traveling at a high speed and driving recklessly, according to the motion filed Friday by the Lee County District Attorney’s Office.

The motion states that officers also smelled marijuana and found marijuana residue in Taylor's vehicle during one of the stops.

The case is yet to be heard by a grand jury, and he waived his preliminary hearing in July.

Taylor’s first citation stems from when an Auburn police officer clocked a black Kia Optima traveling 68 mph in a 45 mph zone in the area of South College Street and South Donahue Drive around 7:20 a.m. Nov. 24, according to the motion.

Taylor was stopped again in Auburn about a day later in the area of Annalue Drive near Burke Place, according to the motion.

An Auburn police officer saw a black sedan, later identified as a 2016 Kia Optima SX Turbo, traveling 62 mph in a 35 mph zone on Annalue Drive near Burke Place at about 9:30 a.m. on Nov. 25, according to police.

Taylor was also observed "spinning tires and fishtailing into an oncoming lane of travel," at about 9:52 a.m.

The officer issued Taylor citations for speeding and reckless driving.

Hughes filed the motion to revoke Taylor's bond in the wake of these incidents.

A report from the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency’s Traffic Homicide Unit indicated that Taylor’s vehicle was doing 89-91 mph on the night of the crash involving tye Brambletts and did not brake before the crash, according to the affidavit.

The posted speed limit for the section of Shug Jordan Parkway where the crash occurred is 55 mph.

A toxicology analysis report from the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences indicated a blood sample from Taylor contained THC.

THC “is the primary psychoactive component of marijuana and is indicative of recent usage of marijuana at the time of the collision on May 25,” the affidavit reads.

Taylor told police he fell asleep while driving and did not remember what happened, according to officials.

Rod Bramblett was the well-known "Voice of the Auburn Tigers," having broadcast Auburn athletic events for more than two decades. His wife Paula worked in an IT department at Auburn University.

Hughes and Assistant District Attorney Frank Thomas are the prosecutors assigned to the case. Taylor is represented by Thomas Spina, Walter Northcutt and James Sprayberry.

Share and discuss “Teen charged in killing of Rod and Paula Bramblett involved in more traffic violations since fatal crash” on social media.