Auburn hires new director of high school relations

Gus Malzahn walks through the Tiger walk prior to the Outback Bowl vs Minnesota, on Wed, Jan. 1, 2020, in Tampa, Florida.

While basketball, baseball, softball and gymnastics may be in the spotlight on the Plains of Auburn, head football coach Gus Malzahn and company have continued working on filling holes and making improvement within the Auburn football staff. 

This week has been no exception. On Wednesday, Auburn hired longtime Samford linebackers coach and recruiting coordinator Ross Newton as the Tigers' new director of high school relations.

Newton took to Twitter on Tuesday morning to thank his new head coach for the opportunity to be a part of the Auburn football program.

The former Samford assistant brings with him 14 years of experience with the Bulldogs, and experience in recruiting within the state of Alabama.

Newton was raised in Birmingham, and grew up in a household in which his father coached him throughout his career, all the way until his senior year at Homewood High School. Newton then stayed in Birmingham to attend Samford University and wound up staying local.

Newton replaces Doug Goodwin in the role. Goodwin held the position of high school relations director for six seasons before he recently left to become an analyst on Lane Kiffin's staff at Ole Miss.

Share and discuss “Auburn hires new director of high school relations” on social media.