Meet Hays Kassen: candidate for SGA vice president

Hays Kassen, junior in accounting, is running for SGA vice president.

SGA vice presidential candidate Hays Kassen, junior in accounting, knows his work would begin as soon as he took office in February.

While many students are already looking forward to summer, Kassen said he wants Senate to be willing and ready to do as much as they can, right from the start of the next term.

“You don’t really feel like you start working really hard until you’ve been in office for a little bit,” Kassen said. “As soon as I get in office, I just want to have that mentality of, ‘We only have six weeks left, so we need to do everything we can from the start.’” 

According to Kassen, the transitional period between terms is a large hindrance to the speed at which they can begin work.  

The easier it is for senators to grasp their specific roles, the quicker they can begin working on legislation and talking to constituents, he said.

A way to speed up the transition, according to Kassen, is to make their individual roles more well defined, and to make sure senators are pursuing issues they are passionate about. 

Kassen said being a part of this year’s Senate and a member of the Academic Affairs Committee has allowed him to be involved with a lot of the processes he would oversee as vice president.

Regardless of how long Kassen is a member of SGA, he knows he will continue to advance Auburn, serving until the day of his graduation. 

Share and discuss “Meet Hays Kassen: candidate for SGA vice president” on social media.