Meet Maggie Ricks: candidate for Miss Auburn

<p>Maggie Ricks, junior in accounting and Spanish, is running for Miss Auburn.</p>

Maggie Ricks, junior in accounting and Spanish, is running for Miss Auburn.

Miss Auburn candidate Maggie Ricks, junior in accounting and Spanish, believes that Auburn University is not just a school, but a home to everyone who attends. She chose the Creed line, “I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God.”

This line of the Creed, Ricks said, has always resonated with her.

She wrote about it in her application to Auburn and her Camp War Eagle counselor application. 

“[Auburn] has given me so many things. It’s given me my friends, a great education and a lot of fun memories that I can hold onto, and I want other people to have that, too,” she said.

Ricks said her campaign is focused on “my own home,” because students spend at least four years living in Auburn, and it should be more than just a school. 

“This week, we’re going to be on the concourse just welcoming people in and hearing what makes Auburn feel like home and [hearing] what qualities a home has for them,” Ricks said.

As a girl from a small Georgia town, Ricks recognizes that home means something different to each person.

She wants to use her platform to hear about what “home” is for members of the Auburn Family and to help them find it in Auburn.

“We’re really looking forward to focusing on hearing about what makes Auburn home to people this week and, if I win, using that voice to represent those students who don’t feel as well represented,” Ricks said.

Share and discuss “Meet Maggie Ricks: candidate for Miss Auburn” on social media.