Quarry will no longer be built as Creekwood Resources withdraws application

<p>Residents have placed signs around Opelika that state their opposition to a quarry being built near the city.&nbsp;</p>

Residents have placed signs around Opelika that state their opposition to a quarry being built near the city. 

Creekwood Resources, the company that was pushing to build a quarry on the outskirts of Opelika,  has withdrawn its permit and application to the Alabama Department of Environmental Management.

“I would like to express my appreciation to Jeffrey Major and CreekWood Resources for withdrawing their application," said Opelika Mayor Gary Fuller in press release. "I am deeply grateful for the overwhelming support from citizens in Opelika, Auburn, Smith Station and Lee County. Without the support of all involved, we may not have had this outcome."

Major, a managing member for Creekwood Resources, sent the following statement to ADEM:

"After review of the concerns presented by the community of Lee County and the City of Opelika regarding potential impacts to the Saugahatchee Creek Watershed, Creekwood Resources has, at this time, elected to withdraw its current application for an Air quality and NPDES permit with ADEM  associated with its proposed granite quarry."

Major also sent a letter to the City of Opelika's attorney Guy Hunter and to Bill English, the chair of the Lee County Commission, stating that although he believes "there would be no impact on the watershed as a result of" the quarry, he also believes that the "communities fear of such an occurrence is indeed very real."

"We would like to thank the members of the community and their elected officials who were willing to provide open and candid dialog that allowed us to make this informed and considered decision," Major said.

Residents in Opelika, Auburn and Lee County were vocal about their opposition to the quarry from the start, writing letters to the ADEM and putting "no quarry" signs in front of their yards.

Fuller first told his constituents about the proposed quarry in January, and since then, it was an almost city-wide effort to make sure Creekwood Resources would stay away from the area.

The opposition from many residents stemmed from possible pollution of water sources and to the surrounding air. Creekwood Resources had applied for air and water permits with ADEM. Some were also concerned about the potential noise pollution and the almost certain termination of Storybook Farms, a local nonprofit that helps children. Auburn Mayor Ron Anders expressed his opposition to the quarry at City Council meetings.

A public hearing for the quarry was going to take place before ADEM postponed it.

Eduardo Medina | Editor-in-chief

Eduardo Medina, senior in journalism, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Quarry will no longer be built as Creekwood Resources withdraws application ” on social media.