Trump endorses former Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville in GOP runoff

<p>United States President Donald J. Trump makes remarks after signing the $1.3 trillion omnibus spending bill at the White House Friday, March 23, 2018 in Washington, D.C.  The President praised the increased military spending but noted measure does not protect the DACA program recipients and does not adequately fund his border wall, which he says is vital to national security. (Ron Sachs/CNP/Zuma Press/TNS) </p>

United States President Donald J. Trump makes remarks after signing the $1.3 trillion omnibus spending bill at the White House Friday, March 23, 2018 in Washington, D.C. The President praised the increased military spending but noted measure does not protect the DACA program recipients and does not adequately fund his border wall, which he says is vital to national security. (Ron Sachs/CNP/Zuma Press/TNS)

Former U.S. Sen. and former U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who was an original supporter of President Donald Trump, who walked out on stage in Madison, Alabama, to announce his endorsement of the then long-shot candidate on a mission to bring America to its former greatness, has failed to see his support reciprocated.  

Instead, a former coach for the Tigers is basking in Trump's tweet that announced his "Complete and Total Endorsement" of Tommy Tuberville in his race for the Republican Senate nomination.

Tuberville and Sessions were in a tight race with seven competitors for the Senate seat.

"Tommy Tuberville is running for the U.S. Senate from the Great State of Alabama," Trump tweeted. "Tommy was a terrific head football coach at Auburn University. He is a REAL LEADER who will never let MAGA/KAG, or our Country, down!"

Trump eschewed his former attorney general Tuesday night. Both candidates had been yearning for a full-fledged endorsement before voters decide on March 31 who the candidate will be to take on Sen. Doug Jones in November.

"Tommy will protect your second amendment ... (which is under siege), is strong on Crime and the Border, and truly LOVES our Military and our Vets," Trump tweeted. "He will be a great Senator for the people of Alabama."

Tuberville thanked Trump on twitter, adding that he looks forward to helping the president "drain the swamp."

Tuberville led the field in last week’s primary with 33%. Sessions barely trailed at 32%.

Sessions recusal from the investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 election appears to have left bitter feelings with Trump, who tweeted that Sessions failure to lead the Senate race is "what happens to someone who loyally gets appointed Attorney General of the United States & then doesn’t have the wisdom or courage to stare down & end the phony Russia Witch Hunt."

Sessions has previously stated that because he worked with Trump's campaign, he was professionally required to recuse himself.

Sessions has been advocating for a televised debate with Tuberville, but the ex-coach has expressed no interest in participating. 

Eduardo Medina | Editor-in-chief

Eduardo Medina, senior in journalism, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Trump endorses former Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville in GOP runoff” on social media.