Auburn City Council to discuss renaming Mike Hubbard Boulevard at next meeting

Mike Hubbard is a former Lee County statehouse representative.

Coming up on the City Council’s agenda for their next meeting on Tuesday: Potentially renaming a boulevard that currently bears the name of former Alabama House Speaker Mike Hubbard.

This comes one week after the Alabama Supreme Court upheld six ethics convictions against Hubbard, who was also Auburn’s state house representative.

Renaming Mike Hubbard Boulevard, which is adjacent to the Auburn University Airport, is listed on the City Council’s committee of the whole agenda, and they will discuss the item on April 21 through a remote session.

The ruling from the Alabama Supreme Court came after Hubbard, 58, was convicted of 12 felony ethics charges in 2016 by a Lee County jury.

Lee County Circuit Judge Jacob Walker had previously sentenced Hubbard — who had remained free on bond during the appeal process —to four years in prison.

In August 2018, the Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals upheld 11 of the 12 felony ethics convictions.

Hubbard held what many consider to be one of the most powerful political positions in the state. 

Hubbard has denied wrongdoing since his indictment.

Prosecutors said Hubbard used his power as an elected representative to steer over $2 million to his businesses.

Gov. Kay Ivey issued the following statement last Friday about the convictions:

"As an elected official, our first priority is to be above reproach and avoid even the appearance of misconduct and abuse of office," Ivey said. "I support seeking clarity on our state’s ethics laws to ensure those who want to abide by them may not be unfairly targeted. However, let me be abundantly clear, I do not support weakening a system that is meant to hold our elected officials accountable. The rule of law must be upheld. Even more so on this Good Friday, my thoughts and prayers are on Mike Hubbard’s family and upon our state as we move on from this unfortunate part of Alabama’s history."

Eduardo Medina | Editor-in-chief

Eduardo Medina, senior in journalism, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Auburn City Council to discuss renaming Mike Hubbard Boulevard at next meeting” on social media.