SEC increases hours of virtual coaching, extends ban on in-person events

Gus Malzahn greeting Auburn Fans during Tiger Walk at Auburn Football vs Ole Miss, on Nov. 2, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

On Friday the SEC announced that all in-person athletic activities, including team and individual practices, meetings and other organized gatherings, whether voluntary or required, as well as camps and coaches clinics, will be suspended through at least May 31. 

The SEC had previously suspended the activities through April 15. 

With the lack of practices, the SEC has previously announced coaches would have access to two hours a week of virtual film review. The conference has now opted to increase that to four hours a week. 

The virtual film reviews began this past week.

“This is the first week we could do that through zoom,” Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said during a teleconference Friday, in a quote gathered from Auburn.247Sports.com. “It went very well. Probably more than anything it was great to have our players see each other and interact. I know that was a real positive. Probably bigger than the football aspect of the Xs and Os was just the camaraderie, being able to talk as a group. I know both the coordinators were very pleased with how the meeting went.”

In the quarterback meeting was new offensive coordinator Chad Morris, who faces the challenge of implementing his offense remotely.

“Just like when we start in spring, 'Day 1 install, guys. Here's the offense. Here's the defense. Here's the big picture. Here's the keys to success. Here's your responsibilities.' A lot of question and answers to engage the guys, making sure they understand,” said Malzahn. “And on Thursdays, it's just position meetings so they can really review that, go into a little bit more detail with their position of the big picture responsibilities of putting everything together."

Malzahn made these comments shortly before the SEC opted to increase to four hours a week. 

As of now, Auburn is set to start its season Sept. 5 against Alcorn State. 

Share and discuss “SEC increases hours of virtual coaching, extends ban on in-person events” on social media.