Socially distanced Bid Day breaks Panhellenic records

<p>The videoboard in Jordan-Hare Stadium displays a welcome message for students participating in Bid Day on Aug. 15, 2020, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

The videoboard in Jordan-Hare Stadium displays a welcome message for students participating in Bid Day on Aug. 15, 2020, in Auburn, Ala.

Cheers echoed off the stands of Jordan-Hare Stadium on Saturday, Aug. 15, but they weren’t from football fans. They were the cheers of a record 1,539 Auburn women who rushed and received bids at this year’s Bid Day, which took place inside the stadium beginning at 4:30 p.m.

Bid Day followed a fully virtual recruitment week, a first for Auburn Panhellenic because of the need to socially distance. The council had initially considered two other options which each involved some virtual and some in-person recruitment rounds.

“We were so impressed with our chapters and our potential new members during the week as they navigated an entirely virtual platform with minimal technology issues,” said Madison Birckhead, president of the Auburn Panhellenic Council. “Our team planned and educated our members in an attempt to make the best of the new platform and situation.”

The council's key focus for this year's Bid Day was ensuring student attendees stayed healthy the weekend before fall classes began, Birckhead said.

“Our team's main priority in planning all recruitment activities was student safety,” Birckhead said. “In order to align with A Healthier U guidelines we put in place many protocols to promote a safe environment.”

Birckhead said some of these decisions included informing participants on safe health practices and limiting attendance. Panhellenic announced in June that parents were not allowed to take part in Bid Day this year.

In addition, Bid Day in the stadium was a departure from the typical Auburn Arena, which was another safety measure, Birckhead said.

“In order to align with A Healthier U guidelines, the Panhellenic Council felt the safest option for students would be an outdoor bid celebration location,” she said. “Jordan-Hare Stadium is the largest outdoor venue on campus, which provided us ample space to be able to provide a safer Bid Day celebration.”

Nevertheless, the Epsilon Eta chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma on Auburn's campus is quarantining two students who tested positive for COVID-19 on Monday, according to an email obtained by The Plainsman. It is unknown if they contracted the virus from Bid Day, but the email was sent to select Bid Day attendees as a precaution.

The safety protocols might have made this year's event different from those previous, but students like Tristyn Harrison, freshman in pre-optometry, were still pleased they could take part in the tradition.

“I’m sure that all of us rush girls were very excited that we even got to do something,” said Tristyn Harrison, freshman in pre-optometry, who was welcomed into Delta Zeta. “We were very thankful that we could go through Zoom and that it was offered at the stadium.”

A record 1,702 women registered for Panhellenic recruitment, and 1,687 took part in at least one round of recruitment, which is another record, according to Auburn Panhellenic.

“We were all overwhelmed with joy, me especially, surrounded by so many people that were feeling the same way I that was – to be welcomed home into such a wonderful sisterhood,” Harrison said. “We were all just very excited for an amazing opportunity.”

The set quota on recruitment for each of Panhellenic’s 18 sororites was 80 students this year, which all sorority chapters made. Among those who received bids were all six women of the Education to Accomplish Growth in Life Experiences for Success program. The program, run by the College of Education, supports students with intellectual disabilities.

Auburn Panhellenic said the chapter with the smallest number of bids will welcome 80 new members, while the chapter with the largest number will welcome 108 new members. Panhellenic achieved a record 91% match rate of students receiving bids for their desired sorority.

Panhellenic events will differ from normal this year, but Harrison said she remains optimistic they might continue in some fashion that remains safe for students.

“It will definitely be different, and I hope that some events can still go on, as most of us have dreamed of events like these for years to come,” she said. “I’m sure that each sorority will conform to some of the guidelines and still try to make the most of each situation.”

Birckhead said she is proud to see the record numbers this fall and honored by the students who rushed sororities on Bid Day.

“We are overjoyed to have you as new members in our community and are excited to take on this semester with you,” she said. “The foundation we have set our council upon – of sisterhood, academic excellence, social responsibility and leadership – is one that remains unwavering, even in unprecedented circumstances.”

Tim Nail | Campus Editor

Tim Nail, junior in journalism, is the campus editor for The Auburn Plainsman.

@timmnail

timnail@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Socially distanced Bid Day breaks Panhellenic records” on social media.