GuideSafe 'sentinel' testing debuts at AU tomorrow

Testing nearly every student and putting up signs like this one across campus are parts of the University's plan to reopen in August.

According to an email sent out this afternoon, Auburn will begin to roll out its Sentinel Testing program for COVID-19 in conjunction with GuideSafe tomorrow, Sept. 2. 

The email details that Auburn is conducting a pilot test for the Sentinel Testing program that will serve as a precursor for the full launch of the program on Sep. 8.

Sentinel testing differs from entry testing in a few ways. While left out of entry testing, faculty and staff will be included in sentinel testing, and instead of testing an entire population, sentinel will randomly select a sample of individuals within the campus community.

“[This] data will help us understand the underlying prevalence of COVID-19 in our Auburn University main campus community,” the email states. “[It] will allow us to promptly respond to changes in infection rates on campus.”

According to the email, the full launch of the Sentinel Testing program will begin Sept. 8, six days after the pilot testing program. 

An individual’s ability to be included in the Sentinel Testing program is dependent on many factors.

“Students who are registered for traditional classes on main campus [are eligible],” the email states. “Students who are enrolled exclusively in distance education courses or experiential training courses that are completed at distance sites will be excluded.”

A similar metric is applied for employees of the University. Those employees who are assigned to the main campus, both part and full-time, will be included in testing. Those employees assigned to locations off the main campus will be excluded.

Any individuals with symptoms will also be excluded, as well as individuals who have tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 12 weeks. 

Participation in sentinel testing is not mandatory, according to the email, but highly encouraged.

“Sentinel testing is a very important component of Auburn University’s health and safety plan,” the email states. “This testing allows us to identify increases in infection rates and promptly respond.”

If a student or employee is randomly selected to participate in the Sentinel Testing program, they will receive an email from healthy@verily.com, which will ask the individual to schedule an appointment. Emails for the pilot phase of testing will be sent out to students starting today, Sept. 1.

Testing will take place in the scholarship room at Beard-Eaves Memorial Coliseum on Auburn’s main campus. 

If a student or faculty or staff member has questions about the Sentinel Testing program, the email states that they should email the AU COVID Resource Center at covidresourcecenter@auburn.edu with “Sentinel Testing” as the subject line. 

Share and discuss “GuideSafe 'sentinel' testing debuts at AU tomorrow” on social media.