Auburn falls to Arkansas 2-1 for first loss of the season

Sep 18, 2020; Auburn, AL, USA; Auburn Tigers soccer head coach Karen Hoppa during the match between Auburn and Mississippi State at Auburn Soccer Complex.

On Friday, No. 15 Auburn fell to No. 7 Arkansas, 2-1 on the road for its first loss of the season.  

Arkansas was strong on defense and quick on the counterattack. The Razorbacks used swarming pressure to crack the Auburn defense early. The Tigers conceded two goals within the first 18 minutes of the contest. 

Auburn was playing from behind for the rest of the game. 

Early in the contest, Auburn almost took the lead as Alyssa Malonson found herself on the left side of the box and placed a shot on goal. Arkansas goalkeeper Taylor Beitz made the save, and three passes later, Anna Podojil found herself in front of Auburn goalkeeper Maddie Prohaska and slotted a shot past her.

Arkansas was up 1-0 within the first 12 minutes of the contest and scored again at the 19-minute mark. 

After the early goals, Auburn's defense settled down as Prohaska finished the game with a season-high 10 saves.

The Tigers' lone goal in the contest came in the 76th minute after Malonson broke through the Razorback defense and sent a left-footed shot under the crossbar and into the back of the net.

Auburn continued searching for that equalizer in the second half, but when the final whistle was blown, the Tigers had come up short in finding their equalizer. 

Auburn (2-1-2) will have a quick turnaround as the Tigers next head to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, to take on LSU (0-4-2) on Monday at 2 p.m. CST. The game is a makeup game from earlier in the season.  

Share and discuss “Auburn falls to Arkansas 2-1 for first loss of the season” on social media.