City implements trick-or-treating safety measures

The Quad residence halls put on their annual trick or treat event on Oct. 31, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

The City of Auburn has designated Friday, Oct. 30, 6–8 p.m. for neighborhood trick-or-treating because of the home football game that will take place on Oct. 31 against LSU. 

According to the City’s website, this change will allow for the police to better ensure the safety of trick-or-treaters.

“We’re asking everyone to trick-or-treat on the 30th instead of the 31st,” said Daniel Dorton, Auburn’s director of public affairs. 

Dorton stated that precautions taken to stymie the spread of COVID-19 will still be expected of trick-or-treaters. 

“[B]e aware that masks and social distancing are still in place at that time,” Dorton said. 

On Sept. 30, Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey extended the order requiring all to wear masks in public places through Nov. 8. 

In lieu of door-to-door trick-or-treating, the City of Auburn is offering a drive-thru trick-or-treat, occurring also on Oct. 30 from 6–8 p.m. at the Auburn Parks and Recreation Complex. 

The event is free, and attendees are encouraged to dress up in costumes and decorate their cars. According to the City’s website, Attendees must come in a vehicle, as no walk-ups will be permitted. 

“Participants must enter the parking lot from Drake Avenue, then will be directed around the complex,” the website said. “A map and directions will be posted the week of the event.” 

On Sept. 15, the City of Opelika announced that door-to-door trick or treating would be canceled for 2020. 

The City of Opelika will also host a drive-thru trick-or-treating event on Thursday, Oct. 29, from 6–9 p.m.

Share and discuss “City implements trick-or-treating safety measures” on social media.