Thrifting gives students an outlet for creative fashion

<p>Thrift shops allow students to find a variety of clothing items.</p>

Thrift shops allow students to find a variety of clothing items.

Thrifting has become a way for college students to find fashionable pieces for cheaper and to discover new pieces that others might not have.

Lauren Bistritz, sophomore in pre-graphic design, said thrifting started off as a fun activity she could do with friends. Now, she said she enjoys it because it allows her to find pieces no one else has.

“Gradually I started to branch off from thrifting just men’s T-shirts to weirder and more unique pieces,” Bistritz said. “I thrift because I want to find weird and fun clothes that I can’t find anywhere else.” 

She said during quarantine, her love for thrifting grew as a way to pass the time. 

When looking for thrifted clothes, Bistritz said she doesn’t have a certain item she is hunting for, but rather, she likes to see what she can find.

“I never have anything in particular in mind when I thrift, so it’s always fun to find something you’re not expecting,” Bistritz said.

Budget is not the main reason Bistritz got into thrifting, but she said budgeting does contribute to her love of thrifting. 

In the end, she said it is more about finding something unexpected in unlikely places.

Tyler Ward, junior in political science, said he is passionate about fashion. 

He said thrifting allows him to follow this passion at a more reasonable price than bigger brands.

“It gives me the look I want but for a lower price,” Ward said.

Thrifting also allows him to be creative with the clothes he finds, he said.

Ward described himself as “a kid at a candy shop” when he walks into a thrift store. 

While Ward expressed how much he enjoys thrifting, he said he is also careful to be conscious of what others might need.

“I try to donate the same amount of clothing that I receive,” Ward said. “I’m always cautious to make sure that I’m not taking something that I want that someone else could need.” 

Ward said he began thrifting more regularly when he got to college his freshman year, and this was partly because he found good thrift shops around Auburn.

“I thrifted a lot in high school, but the quality of clothing wasn’t as good as the Goodwill or Plato’s Closet in Auburn,” Ward said.

Share and discuss “Thrifting gives students an outlet for creative fashion” on social media.