Auburn University reports 24 new COVID-19 cases

Students walking in front of Samford Hall on Wed, Jan. 16, 2019 in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn University reported 24 new COVID-19 cases for the week ending Nov. 8, according to data from its COVID-19 Resource Center. This week reported the most cases in over a month.

All 24 cases were reported from the University's main campus in Auburn. 

The GuideSafe Sentinel Testing Program performed its most tests of the semester, handling 627 tests in the past week, with 0.48% returning a positive result. The positivity rate for sentinel tests the week prior was 0.49%.

This marks an increase from the eight cases that were reported last week and the most reported by the University since Sept. 20, when the University reported 53 cases of COVID-19.

Recently, Auburn’s football team had to cancel its upcoming game against Mississippi State due to concerns over COVID-19. Head coach Gus Malzahn announced that nine players and three staff members tested positive during the recent bye week.

Dr. Fred Kam, director of the Auburn University Medical Clinic, began his weekly update video discussing a potential vaccine developed by Pfizer, which the corporation announced on Monday.

"That was a very positive set of news, but we have to be, again, be practical and realistic," Kam said.

Kam pointed out that while the news is promising, college students will not be in the first group of people eligible for a vaccine. 

"There's only so many doses that will be available in the first round," Kam said.

Kam said that, in his opinion, a vaccine will likely be available in the first quarter of 2021.

For Thanksgiving, Kam urged students to think ahead and plan their actions in accordance. If you're visiting a family member or friend who is particularly vulnerable, you need to be extra cautious and seriously consider getting tested for COVID-19 before leaving, Kam said.

If you're traveling, start limiting interactions with others outside of your home two weeks before you leave.

“So, if you’re thinking you’re going to be traveling 14 days from today or 14 days from tomorrow, you need to start locking down your interaction with others, if you have not had COVID," Kam said.

Auburn University announced updated changes to the spring academic calendar on Friday, Nov. 6, which included the cancellation of 2021 spring break. Kam said that sending thousands of students, faculty and staff away to interact with people outside of the community and then return a week later would be "hard to justify."

The University also has precedence from 2020 spring break.

"This year we had spring break, and after spring break is when Lee County became a hot spot for COVID," Kam said. "We have that history, so in my humble, professional opinion, it would be unwise for us to do that."

The University has also forgone study abroad programs "until further notice," and due to travel restrictions and the state of the pandemic in Europe, Kam does not expect that to change.

“Their wave is actually worse than the initial wave that was seen earlier this year," Kam said of Europe. “It would be way too early to consider doing study abroad in the spring.”

The University exchanged spring break for a series of "wellness days" throughout the upcoming semester. Kam said these days are intended to be a "break from the monotony" that COVID-19 restrictions and online classes have created for students.

"With no spring break, there’s an effort made to at least give people a chance to mentally recover," Kam said.

He also expects that in-person classes, which are scheduled to resume, at least partly, next semester, will relieve some of the mental health effects brought on by COVID-19 restrictions.

“We firmly believe that with more in-person classes, that the mental health will also improve," Kam said.

Kam then discussed the recent cancellation of the Auburn football game against Mississippi State and emphasized that players', coaches' and staff's health must be considered when deciding to play a game.

“That’s a decision that has to be made what is in the best interest in the health and safety of those teams,” Kam said.

Evan Mealins | Editor-in-chief

Evan Mealins, senior in philosophy and economics, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

@EvanMealins

ecm0060@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Auburn University reports 24 new COVID-19 cases” on social media.