Auburn pausing team activities following COVID-19 cases

Oct 3, 2020; Oxford, MS, USA; Coach Gus Malzahn on the sideline during the game between Auburn and Ole Miss at Vaught Hemingway Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

On Wednesday, Gus Malzahn revealed that Auburn had one more player test positive for COVID-19. This news comes after Malzahn said Tuesday that Auburn is dealing with 12 positive COVID-19 cases within the program and will be pausing all team activities. 

During Auburn's bye week, the Tigers had nine players test positive and three staff members, per Malzahn. Auburn also has a "handful" of players out due to contact tracing.

Malzahn said that the positives all occurred during Auburn's bye week but did not say when they happened. 

"It really hasn't been one event," Malzahn said. "Of course, we had an off week, and I think you can see around the league that any time you get out of your routine, that's what you're finding. There's not one single thing or single person or anything like that. I just think it's getting out of the routine."

Tuesday's announcement follows the SEC's decision on Monday to postpone the Auburn and Mississippi State game because of positive tests within the Mississippi State program. 

While Mississippi State had an outbreak that ultimately led to the cancellation of the game, Auburn was headed in a similar direction, according to Malzahn.

"Well, I mean, to be honest with you, we were concerned about ourselves. We were trying to figure out the numbers for us," Malzahn said about learning about Mississippi State's COVID cases. "Then I believe their athletic director and our athletic director got together, and we found out that they did not have enough, you know, players to participate as far as that goes. I think we found out about an hour before it was posted and the statement was put out."

Auburn will have this week off and will not return to the field until Nov. 21 against Tennessee. The game against Mississippi State is tentatively rescheduled for Dec. 12. 

"Our guys for seven straight weeks did a super job, so we're just doing virtual things right now," Malzahn said. "And once we feel comfortable, once Doc Goodlett feels comfortable, we'll get back going with practice and our workouts, but right now, we're just preparing for Tennessee as a staff and players, as far as film goes."

As of now, Auburn will be operating virtually as it continues to navigate its first COVID outbreak since before the season began.

"Of course our coaches are preparing, but we're just going to take it day by day and get this thing under control," Malzahn said. "We knew this year that there would be some challenges. I've told our team that hey there's going to be a week that we could have some challenges. We'll get through this but the No. 1 thing is making sure we get this thing under control before we get back in a routine. I feel real strong we'll be able to do that in a short period of time."

Jake Weese | Sports Editor

Jake Weese, senior in journalism with a minor in history, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

@TheJakeWeese

Sports@theplainsman.comĀ 

Share and discuss “Auburn pausing team activities following COVID-19 cases ” on social media.