Greenway path promotes active student lifestyle

Crosswalk sign at the greenway X Lem Morrison

As the COVID-19 pandemic has pushed students to make adjustments to their day-to-day lives, some may have developed an interest in becoming more active. Students can do just that on a recently constructed greenway along Parkerson Mill Creek.

The three-fifths of a mile stretch of path is traversable by bicycling or walking and serves as a connection from the James E. Martin Aquatics Center to the University’s Sportsplex completed in spring 2020.

The lack of a mediary between Auburn University and the connecting area has been accounted for as an issue for almost two decades, said Benjamin Burmester, transportation and site engineer at the University. Burmester said the greenway was finally constructed with the help of Campus Recreation, with the construction of the Sportsplex being cited as the main reason that the greenway was finally prioritized.

The greenway began construction in October 2019 and was completed in summer 2020. Burmester said construction was relatively quick considering the task that was being undertaken, which he attributed to the “ample support of Campus Recreation.”

Burmester also noted that the campus greenway could be connected to other such facilities around the city and state. He pointed out Chewacla State Park, specifically, as a site that could be connected to the greenway. 

Burmester described the greenway as a sprawling path that is open and ventilated. This means that, despite COVID, students should be safe along its bounds, provided that they are taking the appropriate precautions. 

“We hope that students will embrace the new facilities,” Burmester said.

The intersection of Samford Avenue and Biggio Drive will be evaluated and changed to improve safety as issues present themselves based on student feedback to the University, according to Burmester.

More details will be communicated in March on upcoming plans Campus Recreation has for the University as students look toward a more normal fall semester. 

“Things are in progress,” Burmester said.

Share and discuss “Greenway path promotes active student lifestyle” on social media.