Auburn bass fishing team suspended until 2022

Campus Recreation cites three violations of Auburn's COVID-19 policy on travel and events

Via Auburn University Bass Fishing Team on Facebook.

Auburn University’s bass fishing team has been suspended until the end of the year as a result of alleged violations of the school’s COVID-19 travel and event policy, per a letter from Campus Recreation.

The violations of school policy are alleged to have occurred in July 2020, February 2021 and March 2021. The letter, written by Keegan Ashbee, assistant director of Campus Recreation competitive sports, states that no members of the club may compete, travel, recruit or represent the Bass Fishing Club in any capacity effective immediately until 2022.

Auburn has taken home several championships over its 14-year history, including the Major League Fishing College Redcrest National Championship in 2019.

Both Ashbee and representatives of the Bass Fishing Club declined to comment, saying that the investigation is ongoing and under appeal.

The letter was also vetted and endorsed by Bobby Woodard, senior vice president of Student Affairs, Jennifer Jarvis, executive director of Campus Recreation, and Nick Wiard, director of the Office of Student Conduct.

Evan Mealins | Editor-in-chief

Evan Mealins, senior in philosophy and economics, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

@EvanMealins

ecm0060@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Auburn bass fishing team suspended until 2022” on social media.