Auburn Floral Trail showcases the blooms of spring

<p>Auburn Floral Trail takes viewers through Auburn neighborhoods to view beautiful blooming flowers and trees.</p>

Auburn Floral Trail takes viewers through Auburn neighborhoods to view beautiful blooming flowers and trees.

Auburn Floral Trail has served the Auburn community for almost three decades and it continues this year, March 8 through April 16.

According to the City of Auburn website, the trail “highlight[s] some of the finest foliage Auburn has to offer.”  

Julie McGowin, treasurer and member of the Public Relations Committee, said some of the flowers being featured on the trail are daffodils, azaleas, camellias and dogwoods.

However, she said the flowers will vary during the month of the trail as different plants bloom and grow over time and are dependent on the season and weather. 

The trail consists of 14 miles with a south trail, 10.5 miles, and a north trail, 3.5 miles.

Despite the many restrictions COVID-19 has placed on businesses, people and events, the pandemic has not impacted the trail. McGowin said the trail has always orchestrated as a drive-through with your personal vehicle.

“The purpose is to encourage residents and guests in our town to enjoy the lovely spring blooms and see the beauty in our neighborhoods,” McGowin said.

The trail is directed by the Auburn Beautification Council, the Tourism Bureau and the City of Auburn. 

The three groups work together along with the Auburn Beautification Council’s president Joanne Schrantz who has directed the event for many years.

“The tourism bureau creates and helps distribute a brochure for the trail," McGowin said. “The city mails every home on the trail a letter a month prior to give them the trail dates for the year and invites them to spruce up their yard.”

McGowin said the city also places signs marking the route of the trails to guide the visitors along. The Auburn Beautification Council assists and coordinates these efforts and also hosts a kickoff event for the floral trail. 

The maps of the trail can be found on the City of Auburn website. 

The community can also see the work of the Auburn Beautification Council in other ways like in downtown Auburn with the planter and light post baskets. 

“I have enjoyed working with this group to be a part of the impact it has locally,” McGowin said.

Becca Benner | Culture Writer

Becca Benner, senior in public relations with a minor inmarketing, is a culture writer at The Auburn Plainsman. 

Share and discuss “Auburn Floral Trail showcases the blooms of spring ” on social media.