Carlson excited to return after graduating

Anders Carlson (26) looks on during Auburn Footballs Open Spring Practice, on Sunday, March 21,  2021, in Auburn, Ala.
Anders Carlson (26) looks on during Auburn Footballs Open Spring Practice, on Sunday, March 21, 2021, in Auburn, Ala.

Anders Carlson is returning as Auburn’s placekicker for his final season after graduating in December. 

“I’ve got to prove myself again,” Carlson said. “Leaving [last season] be and carrying that confidence in making it a new year.”

Bert Watts is the new special teams coordinator for the Tigers and Carlson said the transition to the new staff is going well.

“In terms of coaching change for us, the transition’s been really smooth. Coach Watts is doing a great job. We haven’t really gotten to kickoff stuff, so I’m really just focusing on the field goal stuff and for us, that doesn’t change too much,” Carlson said. “I would say even for the punt, kickoff, kickoff return, all the special teams there: it’s been a smooth transition. They’re just working on laying that foundation right now.”

Carlson will be returning for his fourth season as starting placekicker, choosing to set aside hopes of playing in the NFL amidst the ongoing uncertainty of the pandemic.

“I gave [the NFL] a little bit of thought. I didn’t really focus until after the bowl game, but I kind of looked at the landscape. I think the pandemic is a big effect to the NFL right now,” Carlson said. “My personal decision, it was pretty easy. I love Auburn and I had to come back for my fourth year.”

Through the team’s work so far this spring, Jacob Quattlebaum and Reed Hughes have been the leading two long snappers, with the junior Quattlebaum likely as the go-to man for the Tigers.

“I have a lot of confidence in both of them. I think Jacob Quattlebaum, obviously he had a few games in the past few seasons, so I’m already comfortable with him and he’s been snapping great. He’s very consistent in what he does,” Carlson said. “Reed’s physical. He’s snapping well too. But with that being said, yeah, Jacob’s doing great and Reed will probably be the second guy there.”

Although he was at 90.91% on field goal attempts during the 2020 season, Carlson says he focuses directly on the approaching season and ways to improve on his previous goals.  

“I was proud of the season I had last year. I had some goals set out and I was right there where I wanted to be. Had one or two kicks gone the other way, I think I could’ve been the top guy in the nation,” Carlson said. “For me, it’s not about focusing on last year. I’m going to carry some stuff: the positives the confidence, into this year and really seek after that goal again.”

A video circulating social media from Auburn’s open practice Saturday showed former Auburn kicker and older brother of Anders, Daniel Carlson, receiving a kick attempt from his little brother. Daniel currently plays for the Las Vegas Raiders and is living in Auburn during the offseason.

“I kicked one and when I looked up at my target as I was finishing, I saw Daniel up there and it was about two yards short. It wasn’t a perfect ball either, so I said ‘Let’s get one more, same spot and that’s the one I hit to him,” Carlson said. “I think I had commented on Instagram that I was testing his hands, because you know I’m the better athlete.” 

Callie Stanford | Sports Writer

Callie Stanford is from Springville, Alabama and is currently a sophomore at Auburn. She has been with The Plainsman since January 2021.

Twitter: @Stanford1Callie

Share and discuss “Carlson excited to return after graduating” on social media.