Ivey issues state of emergency for severe weather

Gov. Kay Ivey delivers the 2019 state of the state address before a joint session of the Alabama Legislature in the Old House Chambers of the Alabama State Capitol on March 5, 2019.

Gov. Kay Ivey issued a state of emergency for Alabama due to severe weather that may cause flooding, strong winds, hail and tornadoes. The state of emergency goes into effect at 6 p.m. March 16.

Ivey said in the proclamation that COVID-19 has strained local and state resources to prevent the spread of the virus. Damage caused by the coming weather events are expected to go beyond the control of local services and personnel, requiring combined forces to assist.

Ivey stated that COVID-19 guidelines will be enforced during the state of emergency unless the guidelines could endanger anyone due to the weather event. Also, those responding to the weather event will be expected to comply with COVID-19 Orders, as well as anyone seeking shelter.

The Alabama National Guard will be preparing to activate on order of Ivey if their services are required.

Charlie Ramo | Content Editor

Charlie Ramo, junior in aerospace engineering, is the content editor of The Auburn Plainsman.

@byCharlieRamo

Share and discuss “Ivey issues state of emergency for severe weather” on social media.