Plainsman’s Choice Best Professor

Dr. John Carvalho was voted the best professor for Plainsman's Choice 2021.

John Carvalho, professor of journalism, has explored his passion in his various careers, including 18 years teaching at Auburn University starting in 2003, 25 years after he graduated from the University.

In the 49 years that he has been involved with journalism, Carvalho has allowed his passion to be the main driver for his work, which is something that he tries to pass onto his students.

“I always tell people that I got into journalism not because I like to write …  but because I like to be read and I like knowing that people see my writing and are informed and engaged,” Carvalho said.

Carvalho discovered his passion for journalism when he joined his school newspaper as a junior in high school and saw the impact his stories had on others.

“I did an article on an athlete and an article on a football game and everybody was talking to me about it, and I [realized] this is kind of fun," he said. "Ever since then I never deviated.” 

Carvalho went on to attend Auburn University and serve as the editor-in-chief for The Plainsman from 1977 to 1978, where he says he formed his best memories campaigning for the elected position of editor of the newspaper.

“At the time WEGL would get the results and announce them on the radio; they said my name first, ‘John Carvalho,' and I heard the staff in the office start to cheer,” he said. "WEGL would choose a fraternity house to host the broadcast and you would go to that house to be interviewed, so I went running out into the office and then I ran over to the Lambda Chi house and when I walked in, everybody cheered and the guy from WEGL said, ‘I think John Carvalho is here,’ and to have an experience like that for something that was so special to me.”

After college, he juggled various jobs at the Jacksonville Journal, The Associated Press and went into magazine work as a sports editor until 1989. In 1989, he began working in public relations for Azusa Pacific University, which put him in touch with the college campus before starting his master’s degree.

During his time as a graduate student, Carvalho said his supervisor urged him to pursue teaching after it became obvious he enjoyed teaching more than public relations and urged him to pursue that. Thus, he began working in the university setting in 1994 at a small college.

When asked to come back to Auburn in 2003, Carvalho said he was excited to get back to the place that means so much to him.

“For me, Auburn was a very special place," he said. "Some people say high school, some people say college, some people say maybe their first job, their first move away but I always tell people that for me Auburn was where I became me. Spiritually, professionally, emotionally, academically."

As a professor at the University, Carvalho has found that there have been many moments “out covering sports events, being out there with them and having them endure the good and bad of it, city council meetings, trials” that have meant a lot to him as a mentor.

In his role as an educator at the University, Carvalho has found a passion for guiding students in their pursuits.

“To me, educating, particularly journalism students, and seeing their passion, seeing them progress, seeing the ones who challenge themselves and being equal to the challenge, that has been the best thing,” he said.

Carvalho is retiring after this year and is looking forward to teaching a graduate sports media class for a month in Portugal later this year, spending time with family and supporting causes that are important to him.

“I want to be a force for change and do what I can to help the gay community in Auburn to grow, to be recognized and to receive all the protections, rights and respects they deserve,” Carvalho said. “I want to do more things that involve family and also being a part of the Auburn community.” 

Share and discuss “Plainsman’s Choice Best Professor” on social media.