Eli Stove signs with L.A. Chargers as undrafted free agent

Oct 3, 2020; Starkville, Mississippi, USA; Eli Stove (12) runs the ball during the game between Auburn and Mississippi State at Davis Wade Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Former Auburn wide receiver Eli Stove is headed to the NFL.

Stove signed with the Los Angeles Chargers as an undrafted free agent on Saturday. He's the third Auburn wide receiver to make it to the pros in this year's draft class, with Anthony Schwartz and Seth Williams drafted in the third and sixth rounds, respectively.

Stove averaged 8.7 and 8.2 yards per catch in 2019 and 2020. He was the Tigers' most experienced receiver in his fifth season on The Plains during the 2020–21 season. 

Though Stove can be shifty after the catch and an agile receiver for short and designed routes, his 4.55 40-yard dash at Auburn's Pro Day shows that Stove continues to deal with issues concerning speed and separation from defensive backs. 

Proving his speed in the open field, Stove broke away for a 78-yard rushing touchdown on Auburn's first play from scrimmage against Arkansas in 2016. Current Auburn quarterback Bo Nix also threw his first collegiate touchdown to Stove on a one-on-one jump ball against Oregon in 2019, the first receiving touchdown for Stove since his arrival on the Plains in 2016.

Larry Robinson | Photo Editor

Larry is a senior studying journalism with a minor in sociology. He is from Enterprise, Alabama and is in his third year with The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @ReportingLarry

Share and discuss “Eli Stove signs with L.A. Chargers as undrafted free agent” on social media.