Jets select Jamien Sherwood in 5th round of NFL draft

Dec 5, 2020; Auburn AL, USA; Jamien Sherwood reacts during the game between Auburn and Texas A&M at Jordan Hare Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Shanna Lockwood/AU Athletics

Jamien Sherwood has been drafted as the No. 146 overall pick by the New York Jets in the fifth round of the 2021 NFL Draft.

Sherwood continues Auburn's streak of defensive backs getting drafted as the Tigers have had a defensive back selected in every draft since the 2016 NFL Draft. 

During his three seasons at Auburn, Sherwood appeared in 37 games and became the starting safety in 2020. As a freshman in 2018, he appeared in 13 games and finished the season with 23 total tackles and one interception. 

Sherwood's first career start came as a sophomore in 2019 against LSU, where he recorded 10 total tackles and recovered a fumble. Overall, Sherwood finished his sophomore season by appearing in 13 games and finished with 43 total tackles. 

Entering the 2020 season, Sherwood earned one of the starting spots at safety. The Jensen Beach, Florida, native played in all 11 of Auburn's games in 2020 and finished the season with 75 total tackles, including 44 solo tackles. He also ended the year with two fumble recoveries.

Jake Weese | Sports Editor

Jake Weese, senior in journalism with a minor in history, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

@TheJakeWeese

Sports@theplainsman.comĀ 

Share and discuss “Jets select Jamien Sherwood in 5th round of NFL draft” on social media.