Spring Sundown Concert Series kicks off

<p>The City of Auburn Parks and Recreation will host a concert each Thursday of May, and each concert is open to the public.</p>

The City of Auburn Parks and Recreation will host a concert each Thursday of May, and each concert is open to the public.

Two Auburn High School bands performed for the first Spring Sundown Concert series at Kiesel Park on May 6. Every Thursday in May, Auburn Parks and Recreation hosts this series from 5:30-7:30 p.m., with food vendors available on site. The events are free, and attendees are asked to stay distant from each other. 

Thursday evening saw an audience that ranged from all ages of the Auburn community, from parents and grandparents, to young adults and children and their dogs. The Chill Spot, a frozen lemonade stand, and Mama’s Last Stand were there selling food for the crowd. 

The Auburn Jazz Band started the event with “Zoot Suit Riot”, and played a few more songs before pausing to congratulate all of the seniors who were in both marching band and jazz band. 

“This is usually something we do at our last concert, but we weren’t able to do it last spring so we’re gonna do it this one,” said DeAnna Marshall, the band director at Auburn High. 

The jazz band finished their next segment of the evening with “Runaway Baby” by Bruno Mars. 

The Auburn Lab Band went next, opening with the “Family Guy” theme song, and played nearly an hour long set, taking a brief moment to congratulate their seniors as well. Before and after the two sets, D.J. Cole filled the transitioning periods with jazz music.

“I knew that the band wouldn’t be able to preform the two hours, so that’s why I got D.J. Cole to pick up that slack during the downtime,” said Jarret Jones, organizer of the event and director of the Frank Brown Recreation Center. 

Jones said he thought the event was a success and is looking forward to future performances.

“I thought it was a great event,” Jones said. “We had roughly about 250 in attendance, and I think it’s cause, you know, everyone wants to get back to some kind of normalcy. It’s good to see everyone come out and I’ll be glad to see them come out in the future."

H20 featuring Louisiana Free, a band out of Montgomery, will play at the next concert on Thursday, May 13. 

Destini Ambus | Editor-in-Chief

Destini Ambus, senior in journalism, pursuing a minor in sociology is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

dya0003@auburn.edu

@destiniamb 

Share and discuss “Spring Sundown Concert Series kicks off ” on social media.