Former district attorney pleads guilty to perjury, using office for personal gain

<p>Brandon Hughes was first elected as District Attorney in 2016.</p>

Brandon Hughes was first elected as District Attorney in 2016.

Former Lee County District Attorney Brandon Hughes has pleaded guilty to two felony counts, according to the Alabama Attorney General’s Office.

Hughes pleaded guilty to first-degree perjury and using his public office for personal gain Thursday. 

Pursuant to the plea agreement, Hughes has agreed to serve a three-year sentence for both counts, which is split to spend ten months in jail, according to the press release.

Hughes is also required to pay back the Lee County District Attorney’s Fund $14,000 in legal fees related to the use of his public office for personal gain and to pay restitution to a Chambers County business related to the charge of conspiracy to commit theft, which has been dismissed, the Attorney General’s Office said.

Hughes is now also removed from his former position as district attorney. Hughes was suspended after he was charged, but the court’s acceptance of his plea deal has made his removal "a matter of law,” the press release reads.

Hughes will be sentenced at a later date.

Evan Mealins | Editor-in-chief

Evan Mealins, senior in philosophy and economics, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

@EvanMealins

ecm0060@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Former district attorney pleads guilty to perjury, using office for personal gain” on social media.